Car is great, but sucks too
By slick_willie on
2011 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
Attention. The manual is crappy in 1-2 or 2-3. It just is a bad combination to have the wallowy suspension and clutch be not smooth. The only way it is decent is if you are trying to use it like a racecar, but most people dont drive to 4000 rpm and then shift. Cupholders.. This car is TERRIBLE. If you take a trip and have a cooler,, forget it. You drink a can of coke for you and your passenger. When you want another one? Where can you put it? NOWHERE. on my honda, I can put 4 cans under the radio (zero for the camry) I can also put 6 cans in the door. ZERO for the camry. The door storage is worthless except for a paperback book. in 3rd -6th gear.. I love it.
Favorite Features
Car engine is very smooth and has nice torque. Base seats suck. Terrible. It is base, though. They are soft and spongy. Good for grandma. Hard to complain too much. I paid 14900 for my base camry speed. Car salesman lied/mistaken and told me it had a ipod USB. It only had a speaker in port. It would be nice to charge my unit via usb
Suggested Improvements
My accord 5sp is SOO0 much more fun to drive. This camry, if not a good $deal$, I would be angry that I bought it. Firmer seats. Make gears 1-5 as if it was a 5 speed. Add a tall 6th gear. GEAR SHIFTER.. is 5 inches TOO TALL. I can not rest my arm on the console and shift with my wrist. GEAR SHIFTER and ADD CUP STORAGE in the door are pennies of cost. Kind of crappy blindspot,, but that does not make it not fun to drive. I like the headlight pattern. very bright. HUGE Trunk. fantastic. at 55, cushy. I can see why grannie likes it. Back seat.. ROOMY. Front seat.. Uncomfortable and unsupportive. Did not notice on test drive.
By mcdawgg
on 06/03/11 09:35 AM (PDT)

My 2010 Base 6 speed's clutch is great. It does take a little getting used to, compared to all the other manuals I have had the past 20 years. This is mainly due to the electronic throttle. Almost all new cars with manual have the e-throttle, and they all are a bit different at first - I could describe more, but not worth it. Just give it a little time, and you will like it. You can shift smoothly at 3,000 rpms, or whatever rpms you wish. I do agree with the shifter length - it should be 3 inches shorter. Seats - no complaint here. It does need better positioned cup holders.