Used 2009 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

A life-saver!
By Gordy

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We've owned the Camry for over one year and we love it. Our car was stopped at a light and was rear-ended by a vehicle traveling 45 mph; all other vehicles involved were totaled. My wife was able to walk away (thanks Toyota!) and the Camry sustained over $9,000 in damages. Even after the collision, and excellent repair work, it drives like brand-new. We love the ride and the peppy engine. It gets GREAT mileage on the highway and so-so mileage (23) around town. We'll own this one for a long time.

Favorite Features

The Camry is a VERY safe vehicle. Peppy 4 cylinder, GREAT comfortable drive and ride, excellent highway mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None.

2009 Braking system w/o TC option
By Paul

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After one year plus and visits to remedy my brake problem, Toyota service changed a valve that they felt was the problem. It was not. I took it to arbitration, which at that time, the technical people gave me a full explanation of the brakes design. And, admitted that all prior service work done was a waste of time due to the brake design. The brake pressure is proportional. To top it off, the Toyota experts indicated that if I had the traction control option, things would have been different with the brakes. In the 2010 model they all have traction control as standard. I guess Toyota dealers were unaware of the importance of traction control on the 2009, they did not stock this option.

Suggested Improvements

Desperate measures equals bad news 4 us!
By Steve

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Camry LE 4cyl back in March of 2009 and at 23,000 miles I had to replace all four tires cause the treads were worn. I was like what? Ridiculous. I don't drive hard and I rotate every 5000 miles. Come to find out the factory tires are only good for 30,000 miles. A Firestone mechanic told me this when I went to replace my tires. Toyota is trying to cut costs as much as possible wherever possible to manufacture their vehicles in these economic times. Pedal recalls are one example. Who knows what other parts might go wrong in the future and another major recall hits. 2 of my friends own a Camry 07 and both of their cars are burning 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles! with 40000 miles on it

Favorite Features

None. Paint is peeling on the hood, Car always seem to be out of alignment, steering wheel is hard to turn sometimes when parking at low speeds.

Suggested Improvements

I'm trading my car for either a Nissan or Ford. C-ya Toyota it was nice knowing you.

Hesitation from start
By ist. toyota

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my first Toyota on reputation of build quality. I have had six trips to dealer for transmission leaks power steering leaks parts coming loose on front under carriage and hesitation on take off. The service rep. Said this was normal for this model and there was nothing they could do about the hesitation. Makes for a jerky take off. Not safe. I have 5 months and 10,000 miles left on warranty. Time to get something different

Favorite Features

good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Fix the hesitation problem.Improve quality control.Poor paint quality.Trunk opening too small

Worthy of the SE (Sports Edition) name
By JimBob Seeker

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My driving experience spans more than 35 years. I have always wanted a sports car but the pragmatist in me could never justify it. I have owned economy cars, mini-vans and family sedans but never a car with a performance flavor until now. I purchased a used '09 Camry SE with 20Km on the odometer several months ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could have my cake and eat it too. This vehicle carries 4 adults in comfort, provides very good fuel economy, handles superbly, has decent acceleration, feels right at home on the freeway, looks like a sports car and has a very likable personality. Overall, I am very pleased with the car. I would definitely buy another.

Favorite Features

The 5-speed automatic transmission and the 2.4 L are well mated providing smooth acceleration, responsive down- shifts and excellent manners at highway speeds. The suspension and chassis yield a sure- footed feel when cornering and driving on the freeway. The brakes are excellent.

Suggested Improvements

The front air dam is a little low and prone to hit high curbs. Perhaps this could be raised a few inches. So far the only quality issue I have found is the seal around the driver's window was not installed properly.