Used 2009 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 221 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

what these fools talkin bout?
By mrcashmoneey

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

now ive only had my 09 camry for a week so i cant speak for the reliability, but im reading some nonsense on here. this is a nice car. i have the 4 cyl. and it has plenty of power. it is a little weird accelerating from a stop i will agree to that but cmon. this thing shifts very smooth, the suspension is nice! its a solid ride. i find it comfortable too. after my 08 nissan versa, this thing feels like the greatest car ever. and i get about the same gas mileage but with more of everything! space, performance, oh and a quiet ride oh and its also pretty low priced. dont let these reviews fool you [non-permissible content removed]. sweeeet value.

2009 Base Camry
By balkania

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the car brand new (3 miles on it). Currently I have 130,000 miles on it and I've had zero issues. I drive mostly highway, very little stop and go. Out of boredom I changed the spark plugs and the PCV Valve at around 80,000 miles. Been changing my own oil since the 50,000 mile mark. The only issue is the oil consumption. From the 50,000 mile mark to now the car would consume 2 quarts out of the 4.5 i put in over 5000 miles. On the most recent oil change I only got back 1.5 quarts of the 5 quarts I put in .(added 1/2 quart at around 3000 miles). Seems like the car has turned a corner

There is a fix for the oil consumption. All 2007-2009 v4 Camry's consume oil. There is a defect as admitted by Toyota with the piston and piston rings. Refer to Toyota T-SB-0094-11.

Good Machine
By nolanm

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The transmission is quick to kick down to a lower gear and hold the rpms high when I need it to.
When I'm driving easy it drives easy as well and gives me soft buttery shifts at low rpm.
It also has an engine braking feature that automatically downshifts if it senses I am dragging the brakes on a long grade. You couldn't ask for a better automatic.

Handling is soft which I prefer, but it also has great feel at the limit, if a turn is taken too fast it behaves predictably and its easy to regain control.

I love the interior, it's minimalist by design, very classy.

Update: I replaced the water pump at 80k miles. It was easy to do and cost about $75. No sign of the excessive oil consumption some are experiencing. I use synthetic 0w20 oil and rev the engine hard on occasion which I feel is essential.

its a love hate relationship
By michelle1969

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Overall I love the car and it rides like a dream, but my car has 62k on it and my dash is melting and I have very odd shakes rattles and rolls going on.
Is anyone aware of any recalls for the dash melting?
Its really annoying, and for $15k (I just bought it 3 months ago). I dont think I should have a melting dashboard in a car that is only 5 years old

Dashboard Sticky and Melting in Sunlight
By ses4747

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used. In the 1st week my dashboard appeared overly shiny and sticky to touch. In the 3 weeks I've had it my dash as begun st melt literally with small to medium size holes in it. If anyone has the same problem I'd like to know. [HTML removed].

I called Toyota about this problem. They denied that they have been called on it by anyone. I've had big problems with Toyota in the past, i.e., their customer service and support is TERRIBLE. I swore I would not buy another Toyota after the experience I had with them on a 2004 Camry I bought new. I sued them on that car. Toyota's customer service is bottom of the all.