Used 2009 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Outstanding Camry SE
By JKC

2009 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car with the Cash for Clunker rebate... plus I got 5000.00 off MSRP... total saving was $9500... what a deal - 16300 + tax and title. So Happy! What a great car... ride so smooth... lots of power for a 4 cly.

JBL and bluetooth

Back & Leg Pains after Driving for 2 days
By HLH

2009 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My wife just bought a 2009 Camry LE with lumbar support - but after 2 days of driving to and from work she is experiencing back and leg pains. She never had this problem with the lumbar support in the 2008 Sienna LE.

We bought this for the improved miles per gallon. Enough room in the rear to accommodate 2 child car seats.

Definitely rethink the lumbar support - doesn't seem to be positioned properly.

Transmission Problems
By First Camry

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first new toyota purchase. After a lot of consumer report reviews, 2009 Camry was my first choice. This is an excellent, comfortable car to drive. But, we are having troubles with the downshifting on the auto transmission. This transmission can go into a "gear hunt" looking for a gear to drop into when downshifting. Also can drop into a lower gear without cause so the car will nose dive. Camry's had transmission troubles in the past... they could be back for 2009.

Comfortable ride, plenty of leg room for tall drives. Large lined trunk.

Use of a little less cheap plastic on the interior. Side door moldings should be standard on all models.

Dependable car but uncomfortable seats
By Shelly

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car for the dependability and easy handling. You don't need muscles to turn the steering wheel or stop the car. However, the driver's seat is uncomfortably hard and I hurt after a few minutes of highway driving. Also there's no lateral support. The head thing hits me when I'm on the road. I never feel like I can relax in the seat. I have to sit leaning forward, lumbar deflated, grasping the wheel at 10 and 2, or I'm in pain. I've had pains around my hip muscles and lower back since buying this car. Also, I can't see behind me when backing out of parking space due to pillars. Otherwise, it has a nice ride and looks good.

Decent ride. Takes little muscle to steer or brake. Looks attractive. Dependability was the big selling point, as is resale value (at least I hope so, cause I don't know how much more of this car I can take).

Seat cushion needs to be softer and have more lateral support. We older buyers need more cushioning because things start to hurt when you reach middle age. I have to sit on extra cushion, and even then it's iffy. Rear visibility should be improved. Engine braking should be moderated so car can coast.

Lacks pick-up
By Alice

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I previously owned 2003 Camry (4- cyl.). I absolutely loved my 2003. I traded it in for the new 2009 body style. My 2009 Camry has very little pick-up. It barely gets out of its own way on Interstate! Scary!!! Also, the door storage areas and console areas are not as large as in the 2003. The 2009 Camry is somewhat disappointing. I don't necessarily dislike the car totally, but I truly miss the pick-up from the 2003 Camry.

Nice size trunk. Sleek looking exterior.

Work on pick-up.