Used 2009 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Most Helpful|
Dashboard Sticky and Melting in Sunlight
By ses4747

2009 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used. In the 1st week my dashboard appeared overly shiny and sticky to touch. In the 3 weeks I've had it my dash as begun st melt literally with small to medium size holes in it. If anyone has the same problem I'd like to know. [HTML removed].

Suggested Improvements

I called Toyota about this problem. They denied that they have been called on it by anyone. I've had big problems with Toyota in the past, i.e., their customer service and support is TERRIBLE. I swore I would not buy another Toyota after the experience I had with them on a 2004 Camry I bought new. I sued them on that car. Toyota's customer service is bottom of the all.

2009 Base Camry
By balkania

2009 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the car brand new (3 miles on it). Currently I have 130,000 miles on it and I've had zero issues. I drive mostly highway, very little stop and go. Out of boredom I changed the spark plugs and the PCV Valve at around 80,000 miles. Been changing my own oil since the 50,000 mile mark. The only issue is the oil consumption. From the 50,000 mile mark to now the car would consume 2 quarts out of the 4.5 i put in over 5000 miles. On the most recent oil change I only got back 1.5 quarts of the 5 quarts I put in .(added 1/2 quart at around 3000 miles). Seems like the car has turned a corner

Suggested Improvements

There is a fix for the oil consumption. All 2007-2009 v4 Camry's consume oil. There is a defect as admitted by Toyota with the piston and piston rings. Refer to Toyota T-SB-0094-11.

Hat!e It
By annette1993

2009 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I hate it, absolutely hate it. I had a 2003 Camry SE that was a fabulous cream puff. In seven years never needed anything but brakes and tires. Comfortable, well made, good on gas, great car, loved it. Unfortunately, I totaled it and replaced it with a 2009 Toyota Camry LE. What a terrible mistake. I am really shocked, what a piece of junk. Inside cheap plastic, one vent is broken, cup holder is inconveniently placed, and seat is extremely uncomfortable. What were they thinking when they redesigned the interior? I have never been so uncomfortable in a car. The worse part is, I am very apprehensive while driving it because it has so many blind spots. The rear window has extreme poor visibility. The car also makes wide turns. I cannot judge when parking or turning onto lanes. I canít see the curb when I am making turns. I have to lean forward out of my seat when making turns because I cannot see where I am going. I have had a Honda, Buick, Nissan, Camry (2003), Chrysler, Chevy, Toyota Supra, and never had this problem before. Also, gas mileage is not as good as the 2003. Additionally, cheap paint job. In one year paint is peeling, yet my 2003 never had that problem in seven years!! The car also has poor pick up. The 2003 Camry was a far superior car in every way. My mechanic agrees with me. Toyota is now making garbage. I am so sorry that I did not buy a used 2003 Ė 2005 Camry.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the 2003 model

xle 4 cyl. sedan
By ralph

2009 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am disappointed at the mileage - about 14-16 city 20-22 highway. Also very noisy engine - sounds like it's always struggling, it needs more power. Also anything that makes it look sharper outside is an accessery (bodyside molding, body stripe, mud guards ). That's why they cost so much. Never again. Poor choice.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Very under powered, has no oomph. Needs more horse power. All four roof pillars very wide - all hard to see at corners.

TOYOTA is big mistake
By meddoab

2009 Toyota Camry 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car in July 2008 brand new from the dealership. I do maintenance regularly at the dealership where I bought it. The first year I had it, it lost a lot of oil but the dealership said it was normal, til now I lose a lot of oil. Now, I have 54K miles on it. Then one day, without any warning, the battery died. I bought a new battery from toyota and still the car wasn't working well. I returned to the dealership and they told me I need a new alternator, I had to pay all of this out of pocket because the warranty ended. I bought this car thinking that it would not give me any problems, I worked 10 hours a day to pay off this car in 3 years and now I this purchase was a HUGE mistake

Favorite Features

color, design, low maintenance (or so i thought)