Used 2008 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Easy To Choose
By tyoater

2008 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When it comes to picking a midsize sedan for a family of 3 or 4, Toyota makes it simple. The popular Toyota Camry proves year in and year out why America relies on Toyota's bread and butter sedan. Comfort....yep, it's there. The Camry suspension is one of it's signature features that people like. It's not meant to give a sporty, low to the ground race-car feel, but rather a comfortable, quiet, and tranquil ride. Speed....the 3.5l V6 provides a generous 268hp. Pickup is impressive with a 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Roominess...This is Toyotas roomiest Camry to date. No problem hauling 4-5 people comfortably in this vehicle. Dollar for dollar the Camry can't be beat!

Favorite Features

3.5l V6 engine Quiet cabin Roomy Comfortable ride Roomy trunk

Suggested Improvements

Not so attractive stereo and heating/ac console

Uses Oil Between Changes
By jlechevalier

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My 2008 Camry uses 1/4 to 1/2 quart of oil per month. Toyota is aware of this widespread problem but has not issued a recall or set up a customer support program. Had this started during the first 5 years, there was a TBS (or something like that), but mine didn't start until around 60,000 miles last year, which seems to be the mileage at which this problem starts. I bought this car new - it had 6 miles on it, and all oil changes have been done. If the rings and pistons need to be replaced, which is the one solution the dealer came up with, the cost will be $3800.

Toyota is loosing ground to others
By camry20

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

First and last time to buy Toyota brand. I have a 2008 Camry LE bought almost brand new. Since I got it I had few repairs I did not expect. First the U joint for the Steering wheel column right at 50K miles after the warranty expired. Few thousand miles later the left front Spring broken and paid another 900 $ to replace the spring and strut. Not to mention the engine starting to burn oil already at 50K miles too. I had a windstar few years back and had a spring broken and because Ford is having a concern for their customer's Safety they did have a recall on this problem. Toyota should not be even operating in NA when they do not care about those issues that could put drivers at risk

Good car for the money
By nlambert182

2008 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car in 2011 for my wife. It's a red Camry SE Sport edition with the 4 cylinder. Overall it's a good little car. We typically get 25mpg+ city driving. We bought it with 99k miles on it and it currently has 128k on it now. The only mechanical issue we've ever had was the left front wheel bearing failing and it cost less than $100 to repair at the dealership. The interior finish is a little disappointing, as the silver painted trim wears easily so we can see black plastic through some areas but overall held up well and it's comfortable to drive and extremely reliable. The 4 cylinders idle rough which we don't like, but confirmed this is normal on these cars and it runs fine.

Favorite Features

Exterior sporty design Interior layout Comfort Great JBL sound system

Suggested Improvements

Headlight plastic is cheap and yellows Interior trim is cheap Lack of power in the 4cylinder

Outlived any American car I ever owned!
By cooksfallskid

2008 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I owned several brand new Chevys and NONE of them came close to the reliability of my 08 Camry. ALL of the Chevys I had ever owned were in need of major service before 30k. I regularly commute from Upstate NY and this car never gave me any trouble. I follow the owners manual and service it myself. Synth. oil from day 1. I will not let those butchers at the dealership touch this car. Aside from the normal wear and tear items it is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I never had a car that had factory brakes last 100k! The only major component replaced was the water pump. I drive this car HARD and make regular trips to .FLA and NC 2 to 3 times a year with it. Toyota got it right this time

Favorite Features

I drove the 4 cylinder automatic and then the 4 cylinder manual. Its like night and day! The 5 speed is a blast to drive. excellent acceleration. It will chirp the tires through third! The clutch has currently 139,000 miles on it and shows no signs of slippage or chatter. Once this car is rolling it goes! The Chevy Impala cannot keep up with it on top end (Most Chevys has a top speed limiter 103-107mph) I have had this up easily to 125 mph and pulled away from them.

Suggested Improvements

One thing I find talking to other Camry owners, tire life is very very poor on this car. I have researched and bought the best tires I could afford. They will not last more than 2 1/2 -3 years or 35,000k. Even with regular alignment checks (every 6-8 months) in needs a slight tweaking every time and all front end parts are good.