Used 2008 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Hindsight is 20/20
By Kim

2008 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I hate the hesitation that happens when you need to take off quickly. I was told that this is only a second hesitation and that it seems longer than it really is that it has something to do with the way the engines are made now. I hate the crazy blind blind spots. Not very roomy inside. Really scary and the tight space causes angst. Constant vibration in steering as though the wheels are out of balance (Toyota always says it's the road) they "balance" it for $$$ and send me down the road - - still vibrating. Was told that they retain their value, but so far this is WAY wrong. Owe at this point $19K and highest offer has been $10K!! Never, never again.

Trunk space, controls in the steering.

Figure out a way to remove the hesitation when starting off, remove vibration in the steering when it reaches 45, give it more room inside.

Camry still a great car
By camryfan105

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car for about a month or so, love the ride and the comfort it offers, the stereo, mp3 jack and all of that are great, the transmission is a little jumpy, and the car shudders around 40-50mph. All things considered a great car overall, the car floats down the road at 60mph, have to watch my speed sometimes. I have put about 4,000 miles on it in the short time due to long distance driving and its been great, 27mpg city and 31-32mpg highway fuel economy, can't beat that. Camry's have been in my family for years and are always great this one is no exception. My first Camry that I have owned by myself, and I love it.

The stereo is awesome, the ride, it just floats.

Toyota needs to look at the transmission problems and come up with a fix, as well as a fix for the shuddering, as I have heard of others complain of it also.

What happened Toyota?
By kueker87

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had a 93 Camry and put over 250,000 miles on it. Loved it... So I upgraded to the new Camry expecting the same sort of reliability and quality, which I still expect to get, but the car does have a weird shuddering problem around speeds of 40-55 mph, especially going up hills. I took this to my dealership (very friendly) and they told me that is just what happens when you're trying to push a car up a hill at 1200-1500 rpm's at 40-55 mph, the engine has to "shake" a little to get up... The remedy is to drive in GEAR 4 when you're town driving - Drive in D on interstate. I haven't had an issue with the shuddering since. Toyota should still try and locate the problem and issue a recall.

The design - Toyota's known for dependability and quality, should help resale value in future. Love the inside features... everything seems quality from the inside and oustide. Very nice car.

The shuddering problem. Stop ignoring the complaints and please do something about it. That is not normal, and I don't like being told that it is. The compartment below the CD Player is seemingly useless... with my GPS plugged in, I can not use it for anything. Nonetheless, I'll always buy Toyota.

Camry 2008 Automatic
By Prasanna

2008 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Camry is a good vehicle to own and drive. It performs well on good roads. I have not had the opportunity to test it on bad roads, so I can't comment. I would rate the vehicle overall 5 or 6 in a 1-10 scale.

Size, shape and feeling of safety when inside the vehicle.

I have had a problem of shuddering of the vehicle from the day I purchased it. When the automatic transmission shifts from higher to lower gear, the whole vehicle shudders and it feels like the vehicle is going to switch off. The passengers feel like they are thrown forward even with seat belt on.

Love my Camry!
By KyleeAnn

2008 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Could not have chosen anything better at this point. Feels safe, drives beautifully, and looks like a Lexus GS. This is a great car!

Stereo, comfort, space, smooth ride!!