Used 2008 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

First Time
By Mike

2008 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Did a ton of research before deciding on this car. Traded a 2005 Highlander and got a fantastic deal I couldn't pass up. The only thing it doesn't have is the seat warmer, but here in Florida, not needed. It is the I4, runs great, smooth acceleration, braking is great. Drove home from the dealership on the turnpike...doing about 75-80 mph, ride was smooth. I must admit, I have to keep an eye on the speedometer as it's hard to tell how fast you are going the ride is so smooth. Interior design is great, very comfortable. My Highlander was a V6. I honestly don't notice the difference in power between the two.

A lot of compliments on the look of the car, everyone has ooh'd and ah'd at the interior. They have all said a very rich looking interior. My favorite features. The smooth transmission, braking, and easy maneuvering. Okay might as well say the whole package. I just love this car.

The one and ONLY complaint, the drivers seat does not sit/adjust high enough that's why I gave the comfort rating a 9 instead of a 10. Only wish I could adjust it about 3 inches higher even though I stand 6'2.

Never Again
By chip schell

2008 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After about 12,000 miles, this car started to fall apart. Rattles everywhere. Have replaced the steering column, brakes and rotors already before 32k miles. Problems with loud rattles in sunroof mounting. Misaligned fender. Busted trim. The antenna in the roof was disconnected and rattled. They have had to take the dash apart to fix rattles that are still there. AC smelled horrible. Suspension is noisy and squishy. All Toyota can say is sorry, but cars have problems. Have had it in the shop 12 times in the last 15 months. So much for Toyota quality. This doesn't even include any of the issues associated with the recall. I can't get rid of this car soon enough.

The car is roomy inside. It drives well on the open highway, but on curvy roads, the suspension is too soft. The stereo is not bad and it looks nice at night the way it is lit up. You don't get a lot of outside noise in the car, which makes all the rattles more noticeable.

Start all over with the design and finish of this car. Edmunds is correct when they talk about the cheap plastics. The overall finish is poor.

2008 Camry SE
By Ronald

2008 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have driven this car for over 2.5 years, over 32,000 mileage, and I haven't ran into any problems except Toyota's gas pedal recall. The car's interior is spacious, the GPS is useful, and the JBL sound system is a plus w/ mp3 input. The tire pressure sensors have come in handy to tell me of a small nail puncture in my wheel. One big negative is that the acceleration is slow because it is computerized. The delay is supposed to save gas but sometimes you end up flooring it because you want to catch up with the traffic as you merge. I keep track of my fuel efficiency, lowest MPG is 22.8, highest 28.2. I average about 25 MPG in 3 years. Overall, I would give it a 7

JBL stereo, GPS (although I would just purchase one from Garmin to save lots of money), fog lights, exterior body kit, spacious interior.

Acceleration is slow, the window panels block quite a bit of view (can hide entire cars/pedestrians), the head rests aren't comfortable, back seats don't come down like the other CE/LE/XLE editions.

Hindsight is 20/20
By Kim

2008 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I hate the hesitation that happens when you need to take off quickly. I was told that this is only a second hesitation and that it seems longer than it really is that it has something to do with the way the engines are made now. I hate the crazy blind blind spots. Not very roomy inside. Really scary and the tight space causes angst. Constant vibration in steering as though the wheels are out of balance (Toyota always says it's the road) they "balance" it for $$$ and send me down the road - - still vibrating. Was told that they retain their value, but so far this is WAY wrong. Owe at this point $19K and highest offer has been $10K!! Never, never again.

Trunk space, controls in the steering.

Figure out a way to remove the hesitation when starting off, remove vibration in the steering when it reaches 45, give it more room inside.

Camry still a great car
By camryfan105

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car for about a month or so, love the ride and the comfort it offers, the stereo, mp3 jack and all of that are great, the transmission is a little jumpy, and the car shudders around 40-50mph. All things considered a great car overall, the car floats down the road at 60mph, have to watch my speed sometimes. I have put about 4,000 miles on it in the short time due to long distance driving and its been great, 27mpg city and 31-32mpg highway fuel economy, can't beat that. Camry's have been in my family for years and are always great this one is no exception. My first Camry that I have owned by myself, and I love it.

The stereo is awesome, the ride, it just floats.

Toyota needs to look at the transmission problems and come up with a fix, as well as a fix for the shuddering, as I have heard of others complain of it also.

• SUV