Used 2008 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great car!
By Phil

2008 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After two decades of driving SUVs I finally gave in to high gas prices and bought a vehicle with better mileage. I spent way too much time on the internet researching and then test driving different cars before choosing the Camry. After owning my Camry SE V6 for six momnths I have no regrets. I chose the SE because I liked the tighter sport suspension. The V6 provides very good power yet I get an average of 28 MPG with mostly highway driving. Another plus; I'm over 6 feet tall and I fit comfortably in this car. I commute 60 miles round trip to work and truely enjoy driving this vehicle. I don't miss my SUV, if I need a larger vehicle for a day to haul more people or stuff I'll just rent one.

Favorite Features

I'm over 6 feet tall and I fit in this car. Plus powerful V6, great (and quite) ride and handles great. Also very good mileage for a V6.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice to have a standard trip computer in the SE. Also the center head rest on the back seat blocked my view in the rear view mirror so I removed it.

Disappointing Tranny
By Dissappointed

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I'm normally a loyal Toyota purchaser, but not sure after purchasing my new 2008 Toyota Camry. Toyota has always had good reputation for great running, reliable car, but the transmission in this car is the worst ever. Like other drivers have said, it's sluggish. Shifts often and hard, especially on an incline and on cruise control. Hesitates when accelerating after slowing down. A nightmare using cruise control when I went on vacation. The driver seat could use more upper lateral support as I tend to lean out of the seat towards the center. I'll keep the car as long as I can and probably trade it in.

Favorite Features

The car is beautiful, quite cabin, for the most part comfortable and I like the suspension. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission.

Camry is good
By rob

2008 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the V6 version before I realized I would be driving about 40k a year. Although I am currently getting in the high 20s and low 30s for the mpg. I spend about 3 hours a day in the car and it is fairly competent. The driver seat could use more upper lateral support as I tend to lean out of the seat towards the center. The car has a superb ride for a Lincoln or Buick, but I wish now that there was an SE V6 for the stiffer suspension when I bought the XLE . The car is well equipped even better so than the Accord, which I have owned several and think I prefer overall. The Camry is overall a solid car and sure to please the masses.

Favorite Features

JBL audio is awesome. The V6 is thrilling and smooth. I am averaging 27.5 mpg and today on a new fill up I have averaged over 30 mpg which is amazing with the a/c on and that much power.

Suggested Improvements

Better driver seat. The sequential automatic needs to hold the gear selected. Better suspension that allows the car to handle what it is truely capable of. Enhance the stability control to intervene later.

Fourth Camry
By johnnyvero

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my fourth camry, I bought my wife an 08, because I liked her 05 so much but she wouldn't give it up, so I bought the 08 for her and now I'm driving the 05, both cars are 4 cyl, and have plenty of pick up. I can't say enough good things about them, reliability, performance, comfort, economy, just an all around good car with good trade in value. I was thinking about a V6 but the V4 has plenty of power and accelerates like a V6. Great Car !!!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, comfort, styling, safety, handling, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely none!!

Stylish and sluggish
By BC

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Camry... best looking, poorest performing. Sluggish, like a person trying to run in water. Shifts often and hard; especially on an incline and on cruise control. Hesitates when accelerating after slowing down, especially coming out of a turn.

Favorite Features

Looks

Suggested Improvements

Work on power and transmission, my 2002 Camry performed better.