Used 2008 Toyota Camry XLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

First Time
By Mike

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Did a ton of research before deciding on this car. Traded a 2005 Highlander and got a fantastic deal I couldn't pass up. The only thing it doesn't have is the seat warmer, but here in Florida, not needed. It is the I4, runs great, smooth acceleration, braking is great. Drove home from the dealership on the turnpike...doing about 75-80 mph, ride was smooth. I must admit, I have to keep an eye on the speedometer as it's hard to tell how fast you are going the ride is so smooth. Interior design is great, very comfortable. My Highlander was a V6. I honestly don't notice the difference in power between the two.

Favorite Features

A lot of compliments on the look of the car, everyone has ooh'd and ah'd at the interior. They have all said a very rich looking interior. My favorite features. The smooth transmission, braking, and easy maneuvering. Okay might as well say the whole package. I just love this car.

Suggested Improvements

The one and ONLY complaint, the drivers seat does not sit/adjust high enough that's why I gave the comfort rating a 9 instead of a 10. Only wish I could adjust it about 3 inches higher even though I stand 6'2.

Love the looks, but not the quality
By Linda(*65

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I owned a 1998 4Runner and finally couldn't deal with the gas mileage anymore, so I traded it in for a top of the line XLE 4 cylinder. I LOVE the looks of this car, however, the quality is terrible compared to my 4Runner. TOO MANY squeaks, rattles and noises from everywhere in the car. I have also had transmission problems, but they have been fixed.

Favorite Features

The stereo is fantastic. I still love the looks of the interior and exterior. I just wish it had less plastic, and less rattles and squeaks.

Suggested Improvements

Just fix the transmission and other quality problems. I never had any problems with my 4Runner, and the day I traded it in, it had less rattles than the brand NEW Camry I bought.

New Toyota Camry Transmission Problem
By Marc

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This car came with a defect in the software governing the transmission. The glitch causes a 3 - 4 second delay when rapid acceleration is needed. This is a safety hazard, and is the reason I strongly advise people to consider a different car manufacturer. Toyota has done nothing to address this issue, which I noticed immediately after driving off the new car lot. I did not test drive this car before signing the paperwork, but instead drove a test model "just like it" which did not have the glitch. The dealership and corporate office have shown an utter indifference, and deny that this is a safety concern. It IS a safety concern, so please consider a different manufacturer.

Favorite Features

It is impossible to give any positive feedback on a car with such a glaring safety issue. Three to four seconds of delayed reaction is a very long time when rapid acceleration is needed.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota says this acceleration defect does not occur in cars manufactured after February 2007, but our car was manufactured in October 2007. Toyota's corporate office told us they are "not required by law to disclose known problems with their cars" to potential buyers. Beware--Toyota has changed!

Great
By lee

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I traded an 05 XLE 6c. for an 08 XLE 4c. and it has as much pep even on hills. Good gas mileage. I am very pleased with the car thus far.

Favorite Features

Interior, controls and easy to read dials.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of.

Awesome Car
By Felix

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is the best car I've ever purchased. It's suspension is smooth, the 2.4 I4 has nice acceleration to match its fuel economy. The Camry's interior is very refined (in the XLE), and the upgraded 440 watt stereo system is great. Exterior styling is nice, and the overall build quality is perfect.

Favorite Features

Leather wrapped steering wheel with audio and climate controls, 440 watt stereo, smooth ride, interior design, manual retractable rear sunshade.

Suggested Improvements

Engine noise on the 2.4L I4 is a bit noisy at first.