Used 2008 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Toyota Technician Fires Manufacturer
By Ben

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

There's a lot you need to know about this car before buying it. Firstly, if you DO buy it buy it new but Ideally lease it. Toyota has gotten incredibly shifty about their warranties and their reliability has dropped. I am reviewing this car based on owning it and also based on working on the brand professionally. In the year that I bought this car used, my dashboard has melted and been replaced by Toyota under warranty. My engine burns 1.5 quarts of oil per 12,000 miles due to faulty piston ring design. They will not cover it due to a lack of oil change receipts and the nature of it being purchased used. The gas pedal had a recall that was performed due to it functioning incorrectly. All Toyota Water pumps will leak antifreeze which is considered normal by the manufacturer. The sun visor in this particular model is held up by a metal clip and actually mine fell down while I was driving on the interstate one day. My radio was designed without the JBL option and you cannot upgrade after you purchase your vehicle. The wiring harnesses are not included and they will not allow it to be performed. The radio I was stuck with has major issues - as do many of them on that model. The cd players don't read properly and I went through five of them both new and used. You will be unable to do anything other than upgrade to an aftermarket radio designed specifically for this vehicle. The interior design of this build was built incredibly cheap and lacks durability in all senses. The alignment of the drivers seat is off to the right so eventually you will notice the left side of your seat wear out. The air conditioning system has a bad habit of growing mold and smelling like death due to evaporator moisture. Toyota's legendary paint has once again failed on my vehicle. The clear coat is paper thin and scratching everywhere. Also in newer vehicles, you will find stone chips and rail marks on every single car, even new ones. Trade in value has dropped horribly with this model and I'm financially underwater on this transaction. Toyota factory strut mounts are notorious for failure - especially the drivers side front on this model. The drivers side axle is also an issue and has a tendency to make noise and fail. The transmission software on these cars has been flashed several thousand times due to bad programming decisions and hesitations. Every time the car is at the shop there is a new recall open on it. My rear view mirror peeled in half and I ended up replacing it with one from a 1999 Toyota Camry. I actually have stopped working on new cars recently, due to the unreliability of the automotive industry of today.

Not Toyotas Finest Effort
By Detectivejojima

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The car overall is a good car for everyday transportation. Quiet, comfortable and reliable. Not exciting, nor fun to drive, but it does the job. Weak points are struts, which had to be replaced around 40k. Small leaks and very soft, just too soft, and not under warranty. Needed to replace power booster on brakes around 150k. First time on any car I've owned. Those are expensive fixes. Also, now at 175k mileage, smoke comes out of exhaust when 1st starting in morning, regardless of weather. My mechanic says oil burn, but oil does not drop between oil changes, so not much oil burn, if that is what is causing smoke. But still runs great, no other major problems and I guess it's been overall a reliable Toyota, but below my other experiences with my 5 other Toyotas over the years.

Buyer beware
By Hermania

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Camry new in 08. At 75,000 the engine blew. I took it to the dealer and they stated there is a design flaw in all Camrys in that they burn oil at a rate of 2 qts per 3000 miles. If you check your oil between changes you will discover this for yourself. It was in the dealership for 3 months and is still not running properly. Please take this advice and don't listen to the Toyota dealers. There is a serious design flaw in all Camrys. They are counting on you not checking the oil in between regular oil changes and before you realize it, blown engine. I was a big fan of the Toyota lines but now will not even consider buying one. I am not disgruntled by this experience , I just want to save others the headache of going thorough what I did. There are better choices out there. And by the way: all toyota service centers are crooked! Buyer beware.

My sun visor broken
By VU Hanh

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My sun visor broken when I driving and I get car accident , I m so scare what happen for next time

Done with Toyota Never Again!!!!
By Susan Polillo

2008 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My 2008 Camry was purchased with 9K in Sept of that year. I keep up with usual maintenance It just turned 88K and unfortunately have had 3 sets of tires(including original), numerous wheel alignments...to which they say accord to specs its fine but every time I drive off lot it pulls to the left or right?!..... constant vibration with steering..... to which always Toyota or other mechanics say its fine!?!? Horrible at acceleration from starting off and switching lanes! Since summer of 2014, repairs/replacements on the following....2 front wheel bearing hubs shot, right driver cv axle, power steering line, trans leak at drive shaft, was burning oil(Toyota fix through semi recall) and was just informed my front trans mount needs replacement!!! Oh and the sunroof casing squeaks like crazy!!! Plus the paint is the worst on this car!!!!!! I am beyond fet up!!!!! The only positive thing about this car is the body style and gas mileage.