Used 2008 Toyota Camry LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Uses Oil Between Changes
By jlechevalier

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My 2008 Camry uses 1/4 to 1/2 quart of oil per month. Toyota is aware of this widespread problem but has not issued a recall or set up a customer support program. Had this started during the first 5 years, there was a TBS (or something like that), but mine didn't start until around 60,000 miles last year, which seems to be the mileage at which this problem starts. I bought this car new - it had 6 miles on it, and all oil changes have been done. If the rings and pistons need to be replaced, which is the one solution the dealer came up with, the cost will be $3800.

Toyota is loosing ground to others
By camry20

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

First and last time to buy Toyota brand. I have a 2008 Camry LE bought almost brand new. Since I got it I had few repairs I did not expect. First the U joint for the Steering wheel column right at 50K miles after the warranty expired. Few thousand miles later the left front Spring broken and paid another 900 $ to replace the spring and strut. Not to mention the engine starting to burn oil already at 50K miles too. I had a windstar few years back and had a spring broken and because Ford is having a concern for their customer's Safety they did have a recall on this problem. Toyota should not be even operating in NA when they do not care about those issues that could put drivers at risk

rear hub bearing to be replace at 36000
By dianad1

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

my car needs now hub bearings to be change at this low mileage to me. the dealer says is wear and tear and have to pay it.!!!!! ridiculous since there is no way i can brake as a driver the hub bearings. im trying to change my car i will never buy toyota again!!!!!

Favorite Features

none

Mixed Feelings about this one...
By iownabuick

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2008 Camry last October. I REALLY like this car, the Toyota Camry was something that I've always wanted. Someone in the latest review had mentioned they had to get their water pump replaced, I had to do the same. Fortunately they caught it when I got my oil changed, because my coolant reservoir tank was empty - good thing I have a warranty.... Then, the last few weeks I was hearing this really loud scraping noise - at first I hought it was my breaks, but turns out I need a center exhaust pipe.... won't know if that gets covered under the warranty until tomorrow...that's another story, wish I had enough space to tell you about the poor customer service I experienced.

Suggested Improvements

I agree with the other reviews, I have yet to see the IT factor with this Toyota, my 2004 Buick Rainier was far more better...I bought that used and had it for two years with NO problems.....

Not Impressed
By kern

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with only 15k miles on it. Previous lease and all oil changes were done at the dealer. Still had the new car smell. My previous car was over 11 yrs old so I think I was just in awe of having something newer. But after 3 wks of ownership, I am a bit disappointed. I have not made my first payment yet and the car needs a complete brake job, rotors and all. That is pretty disturbing for only 16k miles. Dome light is no longer working for some reason and I also noticed the trans slip that everyone is talking about. I dismissed it because my last car was a 6 cy. Thought I just had to get used to a 4 again. Now I see its not me, its the car.

Favorite Features

The MP3 jack, Roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

Change the trans design and provide a better braking system. What happened to the Toyota quality that I have always heard about?