2006 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: One of the best cars I've ever

2006 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

One of the best cars I've ever owned
By Driver in Texas on

2006 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I love my '06 Camry. I bought it new, and now have over 91,000 miles on it. Gas mileage is terrific (I have the 4 cyl), so not sure what some of the other reviewers are saying (it's not a hybrid, folks). Commuting (stop-and-go highway driving) 450 miles/week (one tank) I get 28-29 mpg. On a Dallas-San Antonio trek last year on I-35 I averaged 35 mpg, cruising at 80 mph most of the way. Trips to Okla. to visit family net 34-36 mpg. As for maint: I've religiously followed the mfr sched. Only real problem was replacing the intermediate shaft at 80k ($500+ at dealer). OEM tires were junk, but replacements from Costco have been great. I love my Camry and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Roominess, lots of storage, easy ingress and egress with two kiddos in car seats.

Cruise control kicks on "hard" sometimes, paint is very soft and nicks easily. Agree with other comments about low-speed transmission "kick".