2006 Toyota Camry XLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2006 Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Sort Reviews by

If it is used, it is used up.
By john797

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The 2.4L Camry is a mid-sized car which feels like a mid-sized car inside, parks like a mid-size car outside, and sips gas like a compact... and drives with the slushy feel, vague steering, handling, and turning circle of a much larger car. The driver's seat is extremely uncomfortable. Some of the interior luxury features like heated seats are nice. The mpg computer over-states the gas mileage by a bit, but it still does very well for such a large car. Reliability is where it all falls down. All 2006s are out of warranty now and repairs are very expensive. If you want a used 2006 be sure to get the V-6 which reportedly doesn't have the problems the 2.4L does.

Favorite Features

Heated seats Better than expected gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better driver's seat. Toyota should offer some extended repair program on this car. After 8 years, we're planning to sell ours for parts. The 2.4 appears to have a major design flaw which causes complete engine failure in many of these cars. Some think it's a myth, you won't if it happens to you. Toyota seems to feel that if it is out of warranty it's not their fault. Fair enough, but don't buy one thinking it has a lot of life left in it. $7500 repair on a $6500 car means it is totaled. Toyota dealers are very poor too, slow, arrogant, and deny problems exist. Before buying one of these, be sure to google "Toyota 2.4 Head Bolts" I'll never own another Toyota.

Again, the best car I ever owned
By r. nason

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 Camry only because my wife was retiring and we wanted to upgrade to a new car because of plans to travel. I traded in a 2003 Camry, and I must confess that I almost cried parting with that wonderful automobile; in hindsight, it would more than likely still be running fine. All of the reviews on the 2006, however, made me feel that it was a good decision. I currently have 60,000 miles on the car. Nothing has gone wrong. I replaced both the front and rear disc brakes just a week ago- such an easy job, the braking system was so clean. Replaced the factory tires at about 48,000 miles. The fuel economy of this car is simply outstanding. Always obtain 34- 36 mpg on the highway.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

There is a definite funny jerk in the transmission when driving at low speeds in certain decelerating circumstances.

Camry was better than I thought
By Jay M.

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is a solid car that has a LOT of features. It's extremely reliable and is great on gas. It is pretty comfortable inside and can easily accommodate 4 people in the back seat. I just got the car 2 weeks ago, as my dad convinced me into it, and it was a lot better than I anticipated.

Favorite Features

Radio/CD controls on the steering wheel. Lots of features inside. The wood grain interior makes it look classy. Nice rims too!

Suggested Improvements

I wish these cars had some more power. I was used to driving a V-6, so I like a car with strong acceleration.

Safety is Excellent
By Tami

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I reviewed 12 months ago when I first bought the car. I loved it then and now I'm going to miss it. Last week we were hit broadside into the passengar side. The floor of the car absorbed all the impact and the airbags deployed. We all are just fine like it never happened!! The car is totaled : ( oh my baby... and I'm sure we'll be buying another one like it... but where it's most important the safety is superb!!!

Favorite Features

Notice my previous post listed a couple down. But number one favorite is the SAFETY!

Suggested Improvements

I didn't like the AC/heating controls, it lacks excitement.

Comparing to other similar cars, good
By Maria

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The MPG disappointed me. It is not the value manufacturer says.

Favorite Features

Silent, beautiful exterior design, good automatic transmission, good price.

Suggested Improvements

Decrease the fuel consumption.

My 2006 Toyota is AWESOME!
By Gordon Whittaker

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is the first Toyota I have purchased and I wonder why I waited this long. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this car. It is incredibly fun to drive and extremely comfortable. The acceleration, steering, braking, etc. are better then anything I have driven since I started driving back in 1964. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, acceleration, handling, color, responsiveness, overall look, appointments.

Another Great Camry
By arjay

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Camry, trading in my '97 after driving it 179000 trouble- free miles. The '06 is much more refined - smoother, quieter and more comfortable seats. Beautiful, tasteful interior.

Favorite Features

JBL sound system with integrated Sirius satellite radio, Optitron gauges, trip computer, power lumbar support.

Suggested Improvements

Center console armrest is too low and hard. Power seat is too high at lowest setting/tilt steering wheel too low at highest setting. Impossible to get into car without hitting my legs on steering wheel.

Love my Camry
By Tami

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My car was shot after 8 years and since I hate change I decided this next purchase should be something that will last over 10 years. Therefore I got it loaded with everything I love. What a car! It drives so smooth. Feels so safe. And all the research shows the Toyota Camry was the most dependable and trusted sedan to go with. The ride is so smooth and luxurious that we almost fall asleep while driving (which can be dangerous!). I LOVE automatic headlights, timing wipers, lumbar seat contols, roomy comfortable back seats, magazine holders in back doors, milk holders in large trunk.

Favorite Features

I love having controls on the steering wheel: radio preset changes, volume, changing different modes for gas mileage, est. gas left, outside temp, av. gas mileage, etc. I also love the leather and look.The heated seats are just like sitting in an outside hot tub in winter. Climate control.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like that standard items have to be added; side airbags, floor mats. Sound system could be a lot better.

The Best Car
By krasi henkel

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After owning 10 new American cars with various mechanical and consetic problems and never any help from their manufacturers or dealers, I stopped trying to support the American auto industry and decided to support my personal fiscal policy: elegant, comfortable car, low maintenance, economical, and great to drive. The winner: Toyota Camry!! There is no equal. Now on my 6th Toyota, and still loving it. GM & Ford lost my business through poor service and quality. Not going back. Excellent car, great drive, no problems!!

Favorite Features

I love the size, big enough but small enough to reach things in passenger and back seats. Great sun roof, comfortable seats - love the leather, quiet, peppy.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system can use improvement. Poor audio quality even on upgraded system. Wish they had the Mark Levinson system as an option.

Toyota; In a league of their own...
By Brutus the Buckeye

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We just purchased a 2006 Camry XLE 4-cyl. We opted for the 4 cyl for the simple reason of gas mileage. At 28-29 overall driving and high 30s for highway, it was a no-brainer. The 4-cyl has plenty of pick up for us. Quiteness and ride quality for long trips is great same as Lexus. Camry is very quiet. Trunk space is good as well. Dash is easy to read and see. Headlights are great. And above all, it is Toyota. Awesome!

Favorite Features

Love the ride quality and quietness from the wind and road. 4-cyl is quiet as well. Headlights, display controls easy to read. The A/C system in a Toyota is one of the best. Trunk space. Resale value (10% higher than most cars on the market.) Backseat legroom. Gas mileage. Refinement and quality

Suggested Improvements

Wish the side curtain airbags were standard as well as stabilty control. I wish the homelink system buttons would illuminate.