2006 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

2006 Camry Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
If it is used, it is used up.
By john797

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The 2.4L Camry is a mid-sized car which feels like a mid-sized car inside, parks like a mid-size car outside, and sips gas like a compact... and drives with the slushy feel, vague steering, handling, and turning circle of a much larger car. The driver's seat is extremely uncomfortable. Some of the interior luxury features like heated seats are nice. The mpg computer over-states the gas mileage by a bit, but it still does very well for such a large car. Reliability is where it all falls down. All 2006s are out of warranty now and repairs are very expensive. If you want a used 2006 be sure to get the V-6 which reportedly doesn't have the problems the 2.4L does.

Favorite Features

Heated seats Better than expected gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better driver's seat. Toyota should offer some extended repair program on this car. After 8 years, we're planning to sell ours for parts. The 2.4 appears to have a major design flaw which causes complete engine failure in many of these cars. Some think it's a myth, you won't if it happens to you. Toyota seems to feel that if it is out of warranty it's not their fault. Fair enough, but don't buy one thinking it has a lot of life left in it. $7500 repair on a $6500 car means it is totaled. Toyota dealers are very poor too, slow, arrogant, and deny problems exist. Before buying one of these, be sure to google "Toyota 2.4 Head Bolts" I'll never own another Toyota.

reliable and comfortable
By tessnluke

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had this car for several years now, i bought it toyota certified used with 50,000 miles on it. it's a great car.

Favorite Features

very comfortable, reliable, not one problem with it and I have 100,000 miles on it now. just had to do oil changes and new tires.

Suggested Improvements

The handling performance on this car is not great. that's why i call it my grandma car. It's the 1st sedan i've owned, i've always owned smaller cars or sports cars. if you want to drive like an old lady then you'll love it. If you drive like a crazy person with a lead foot, don't buy it.

A Pretty Great Car
By grooms

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We got this car in late 2006 just as the new 2007s were coming off and got about $3500-$4000 of the sticker price so I'd say it was a pretty good deal! The Performance is pretty good; however, it does occasionally take a second for the car to start accelerating after you push the gas causing the car to lurch but it doesn't really happen enough to be a real problem. I also did notice when I was driving the car through a turn and I pushed the gas the car downshifted when it really shouldn't have and the rpm's shot up like 1500-2000 but I probably just caught it in an awkward spot. The ride is pretty soft which I personally like (although it's not as soft as a Buick or something) and is very

Favorite Features

comfortable on the highway. ALSO the steering is VERY light. If you don't want that I'd try the se model or a whole different car. The interior is very nice. It has a lot of soft touch materials and the only problem I've had is a tiny part of the ceiling coming detached on the border of the back window. The inside is Plain, big, and bland but the quality of it is pretty much unbeatable. The exterior styling is what my mom calls "an old mans car" and I kind of have to agree but nothing has fallen off yet and the only problems have been some tiny rust spots on the front end (The car is mostly driven on the highway and rocks chip the paint leaving the bare metal showing which rusts easily

Suggested Improvements

I know almost nobody else would want this but I wish my camry came with a standard cassette and cd player instead of just the cd player but oh well. Also I would suggest fixing the accelerating response thing (if they have not already) Also I forgot to mention that the car gets very good gas mileage for its size. We can get combined of around 30 mpg. I know that our cars sticker says 34 mpg for highway and Im pretty sure the city was 24 or 26 or something like that. Overall I would definitely recommend this car. It's my first car that was handed down from my dad who just got a new Honda Fit and so far nothing bad has really happened to the car. Great first car and great family car too.

Boring though solid and reliable 76k miles later
By bennychase

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have struggled with the way the 06 Camry looks inside and out. The exterior design looks like a granny car and the interior is boring and moderately comfortable at best. However the car does feel solid and has been extremely reliable even with 76k miles on it. My Camry suffers from some of the quirks mentioned by other owners (lurching transmission when at a stop, sluggish acceleration response on highway etc.) but I have had no major issues and have not sunk any money on repairs outside of normal maintenance. I test drove a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and a 2003 Infinity Q35 and they felt cheap compared to the quality of the Camry. Though, the G35 and Sonata do look so much better!

Favorite Features

Reliability. Build Quality. The 06 Camry is a working car. Built to reliably get you from point A to B every time...no frills...nothing more nothing less. Acceleration from a stop is surprisingly good for a 4 banger.

Suggested Improvements

None that would help considering this vehicle has been replaced by the 6th generation Camry in 07.

Most reliable car I've ever owned.
By ngroeling

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car on a whim because my previous car was totaled and my rental car was due the next day. It was expensive and loaded with everything that I didn't really need, but I went for it anyway. Almost to it's 90k mark, it has still not had any major problems. Some maintenance shops tried getting more money out of me by telling me the transmission and radiator fluids need to be flushed, however, this is false. They were fine and the next place we went to thereafter said they were. So do be aware of places trying to get more money out of you by doing unnecessary fluid flushes, which can often damage the car. Other than that, it's doing great and I expect to get another 100k out of it.

Favorite Features

Spaciousness.

Suggested Improvements

seats are uncomfortable during long drives, but I've been in worse.

Camry.com (not real website)
By 3rdcamry

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd 4 cylinder Camry 89, 98, and now 2006. The previous ones reached 200k miles with ease. The 2006 now has 144k miles. The real treat about this car is that the 4 cylinder 06 Camry's have a timing CHAIN, not a belt--which is a bargain for those of us Camry owners than run up the mileage. This is simply a reliable car. The spark plugs are platinum so you don't have to change them unless you are having a problem with performance. The 98 camry had the original plugs and wires when I traded them in (I have an honest mechanic) and the car ran smooth as ice. I need a reliable vehicle for commuting to work and this is it. Fun, safe and reliable, just keep fluids changed and fresh.

Favorite Features

Easy for me to change oil since I use synthetic @ 5k mile intervals. Nice highway riding vehicle since I've been from Maine to Alabama in this car. Incredible gas mileage on the highway. Very low maintenance costs. Same shocks at 144k miles because it's mostly highway miles. No recall or surge issues--simply a great car. Rear seat folds down and I can carry 16 ft pieces of molding with ease and better than a pickup, no kidding. The engine in this model is 2.5 liter, with more than adequate highway acceleration power when needed. Hwy trips are sweet.

Suggested Improvements

I think Toyota could improve the noise reduction panels on the inside of the sheet metal. Car is arleady quiet, but the manufacturer and dealers would know exactly what I'm talking about. Also if possible, the pass through from the trunk to backseat could be larger since I haul quite a bit of wood trim.

Best car for around 20k
By charlie

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The best car I ever had its true what people say about toyotas they run forever well in my situation 300k and still running strong and smooth like the day I bought it recommend it to everyone

Never own anyhing but Toyota
By Kevin

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought the 06 V-6 a few months ago with 74k on it after having an 04 4 cyl. Absolutely love the feel of the V- 6 the power is awesome and the car shifts extremely smooth. Getting rite at 28 mpg back and forth to work everyday. Driving 30 miles round trip. The quality of Toyota can't be measured against any American vehicle. Plan to drive this car til it falls apart!

Favorite Features

Bright Electro Eluminated Gauges that come on when you turn the switch on and disappear when you cut it off. Kinda like a lexus.

Suggested Improvements

None really!

Speakers/Rear view mirror
By Doris Gamble

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My Camry has been good to me, and it is and excellent vehicle, I have had it over 4years and 4months, but I became disappointed in the material that the speaker covers were made of as it has dry rotted in the shape of the speaker, and I would like to know if any other have been reported as this is not good to look at this through your back glass, and also the rear view mirror has started to fade out and that's not good as you need that to see. I was happy at one point but not so happy now. So in order for me to be continue to be happy with Toyota this needs to be corrected. Good car yes just some defects that needs to be address.

Favorite Features

The adjusted seat, leg space, stereo sound.

Suggested Improvements

To make sure that the material that is used in these vehicle are quality and not cheap, so that customers like myself would want to purchase another vehicle in the future. Make sure the facing on the tape player does fade as mine has started to do not good for a care that is a little over 4years old

Best car for the money!
By bubba

2006 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car after having an 04 Camry LE 4 cyl. And was crashed into and totaled. Drove the 06 V-6 and fell in love with the Electroluminescent Gauges and the refined power of the 6 cyl. Paid 10k for the car with 70k and it was a one owner. Drive the car 25 miles a day back and forth to work. And I'm getting 26-27.5 mpg with mid grade fuel. I don't have any doubt that this car will run another 200k. I can't waitt o see how many miles I will actually make this one go.

Favorite Features

Gauges, and the exterior look.

Suggested Improvements

Longer center arm rest for letting your arm rest while you drive.