2005 Toyota Camry Standard Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2005 Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Sort Reviews by

My newest Camry
By Janice

2005 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned 3 other used Camrys (1997, 1997 and 1999) and I wanted a newer model. Did some research and lots of test driving, and this 2005 is solid, sturdy and dependable. It is spacious and very user friendly, with all the push button controls. I really do love this car, and am happy every time I get inside to drive it.

Favorite Features

moonroof, stereo controls on steering wheel, power drivers seat

Suggested Improvements

I wish it got better mileage, like my '99 did (27 city/ 37 hwy)

100K and going strong
By mjlk

2005 Toyota Camry Standard 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just hit 100,000 miles this week and this car has given me the most trouble free 100,000 of any vehicle I have owned in 30+ year of driving. not the most exciting car I've owned but highly recommend one if you are looking for a used car.

Favorite Features

Gets great gas mileage for size of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Interior materials a little cheap.

Camry #1 How many years in a row?
By Thomas

2005 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 3rd Toyota Camry I've owned and they have all been purchased USED. I buy them with 30,000 miles or less and drive them for (no less than 4 years)and an additional 150,000 miles until trade in. Total annual cost (average) to own the vehicle? $2910 including tax, title and maintenance. When my current Camry is paid off in 2 months the annual cost to own my Camry will drop to $419. And I'll ride that out for 2 more years. Not a bad annual cost to ride a fully loaded Camry V6 XLE loaded to the gills. Since 1997? Why would I drive ANYTHING else. Seriously!

Favorite Features

Comfort, fuel economy, appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Higher ground clearance.

Like, but not Love, my XLE
By Josh

2005 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Very quiet, comfortable car. Toyota's auto-climate system is the best. It always knows exactly what to do. Very reliable, never had any problems with it. I don't especially love the car's handling because my former car was a Passat, but the Camry is an excellent car overall. The front end seems a little heavy for a 4cyl, which makes it lean more than it should in curves/corners. It does a good job of reminding me it's not a sports sedan. The seats are extremely comfortable for long trips. Get a spoiler..it really dresses the car up.

Favorite Features

Bumpin' JBL system; auto-climate system is the best ever; comfortable seats; black color looks really nice with spoiler and alloy rims; the time delay for auto-headlamps is perfect, and can be overridden by pressing the lock button twice.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission downshifts over the slightest incline while on cruise; brakes don't feel confident; mpg computer is not accurate; not getting reported mpg on fwy (26mpg/fwy); 100k and already have to replace struts; steering wheel A/C controls would be nice; standard seat warmers for leather seats

Love my camry
By JB

2005 Toyota Camry Standard 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have been a honda owner for 20 years but purchased this Camry new in 2004 due to price, features and Toyota's reputation with manufacturing quality automobiles. I have not been disappointed. This is an excellent car. It handles well in all types of weather. It is comfortable and reliable. I didn't expect to have to do anything to this car other than other than routine maintenance and oil changes and it has not let me down. The only thing I would change if I could buy the option to apply clear coat paint protection when new. My car is deep blue and as always, people love to bang their doors into a new looking car, creating door dings that the door guard doesn't always catch.

Favorite Features

Sturdy build, reliability, beautiful paint, good gas mileage. I have driven this in some severe weather and it always handles beautifully.

Suggested Improvements

Offer standard transmission to increase gas mileage (I love driving a standard). Make the snow guard more durable (I accidentally hit a raccoon at night and it ripped the guard),

More than happy with my first Camry
By B. Forrester

2005 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I formerly drove a Nissan Maxima which I purchased used. Loved the car, but it had occasional problems. I traded it for my 05 Camry. I now have 48,000 miles on it, and have only spent money on oil changes, air filter, cabin filter, and front brake pads (not rotors. I live in the Adirondacks High Peaks region on a private road. Only this year did I decide to put snow tires on. I've never had any problem with this car, the mileage is good, and I've never had any acceleration problems. Going from a 6 cyl. Maxima to a 4 cyl. was really no problem. I love the car and features, and will buy another. It's quiet and comfortable.

Favorite Features

Headlights and interior lights stay on until vehicle is unloaded and then for about a minute which gives you time to get to the house without outside lighting. Never worry about leaving lights on or not turning them on - can set for automatic. Plenty of room to carry things - versatile.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint would be the fact that the driver seat could use better thigh support, but it's still more comfortable than most.

2005 Camry Safety Hazzard
By stackowi

2005 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

In the fall of 2009 I purchased a used 2005 Camry LE. This has turned out to be the most unsafe car that I have ever owned. To begin with there have been multiple occurrences of unexpected acceleration which seems to be due to a design flaw in the brake pedal. It is too small and located too close to the accelerator which causes me to trounce on the gas when I intend to apply the brakes. I am very fortunate that I have not struck someone or something as this is a dangerous situation. I have taken it back to the dealer to adjust the brakes which has not helped and Toyota wants me to take it back for further examination, a process which would mean that I would have to spend money for this

Favorite Features

NA

Suggested Improvements

NA

Very pleased
By Kevin

2005 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have a 2005 Camry with 215,000 miles only thing has been brake caliper went out, now starting to have transmission problems but now 215,000 that a lot of miles.

I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND TO BUY TOYOTA
By pb

2005 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My car only has 66,000 miles and I had to spend so much money to get it fix 2 weeks back the car was giving me a problem of stopping middle of road and was not going over 40 mph I took to dealer and he said some animal somehow got in the car and chew all the cables (how animal can get inside from the bottom of the car) I believed what he said and paid $700 to fix it after 2 weeks all of sudden my car stopped right in center of the highway and I towed to the dealer and now he said it is related to the prior problem and I have to pay $1,100 to fix this. Never ever buy Toyota.

Still Going Strong
By Dave

2005 Toyota Camry Standard 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my base 2005 Camry since I purchased it new in August 2004. It now has 75,000 miles and I commute 68 miles roundtrip 5 days a week. I'm getting approximately 28 mpg which I consider good. I had a tune up at 60,000 miles which improved its performance. I've also changed the transmission fluid twice. Other than oil changes every 5,000 miles, I haven't had to do much else. It's been a great reliable car so far.