Used 2005 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Camry #1 How many years in a row?
By Thomas

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 3rd Toyota Camry I've owned and they have all been purchased USED. I buy them with 30,000 miles or less and drive them for (no less than 4 years)and an additional 150,000 miles until trade in. Total annual cost (average) to own the vehicle? $2910 including tax, title and maintenance. When my current Camry is paid off in 2 months the annual cost to own my Camry will drop to $419. And I'll ride that out for 2 more years. Not a bad annual cost to ride a fully loaded Camry V6 XLE loaded to the gills. Since 1997? Why would I drive ANYTHING else. Seriously!

Favorite Features

Comfort, fuel economy, appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Higher ground clearance.

2005 XLE Toyota Camry 4 dr
By Rick

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought this car 3 months ago and I was looking at 2007 nissans and toyotas. The only reason I bought this one was that it only had 12,000 miles on it. Now I only have one complaint about this car and that is when you step on the gas it boggs down and it feels like I'm towing a boat. Then once I get going it's fine. The dealer told me it was a wire and they would reset the memory so the car would learn my driving habits. I'm not convinced that this reset of THE WIRE really was it or that is just the way 05 camrys are. It really ticks me off but other than that I love the car. Is it me or do these 05 camrys have this problem? Making me wish I went with a 07 Altima.

Favorite Features

The stereo, the style of the body and the gas isn't too bad on the wallet.

Buyer Beware of Paint & People Problems
By Richard

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The car itself is very good. However the paint is peeling and the dealer and zone rep refuse to acknowledge the problem. They first tried to say that it was re-painted (I bought it new and would probably remember if I had had a new paint job). Once we got past that issue they decided that I was 3 months out of warranty and 18,000 miles over as well. Apparently Toyota only expects their paint to last 36000 miles or three years. It is a great car, but at $500.00 a pop to have the paint fixed I seriously doubt if I will ever own another Toyota product. Too bad their management personnel and dealers don't have the same level of integrity as their cars.

Favorite Features

Great car to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Keep the quality of the car, but improve the honesty and integrity of the people associated with Toyota.

05 review
By John Young

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Third Toyota owned. Toyota changed to a direct wire transmission with which they have acknowledged having rough shifting problems, particularly when driven by more than one driver. Also has soft braking, again acknowledged by Toyota, which makes for unsure stopping. Seats are not comfortable on long trips and overall quality is not as expected of Toyota which now appears more interested in outselling its competition rather than upholding past quality standards.

Favorite Features

Overall interior appearance is favorable.

Suggested Improvements

Correct transmission problem in existing models in order to maintain customer loyalty which they have failed to do.

2005 Camry XLE V6
By BigJon

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall this is a great car. It's comfortable to drive and gets good mpg for a V6. Transmission downshifts somewhat harsh at lower speeds. No repairs in over 2 years. Wish I could have waited for a 2006.

Favorite Features

Driving position is very comfortable. Road handling is very good.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission should downshift more smoothly.