Used 2005 Toyota Camry SE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

bought in 197k miles. still runs great
By Boddy

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a seller in CL for my daily 200 miles commuting. After driving 4000 miles, it still runs great. Handling is good for a front wheel drive car. In general, Im not an aggressive driver but like to drive at constant speed that gives overall mpg about 37. One full tank load can last for more than 500 miles. Of course I changed all the oils, fluids, filters (transmission and air), shocks and coolant when the first week I got this car. The transmission fluid was leaking but after replaced the crush washer. The problem solved. It does smoke at starting the car as everyone said. Some say it's valve seal but others say might be fuel left in cylinder and is normal, etc. But I never observe any oil consuming (I check my oil every other day) and the car passed the inspection. On little thing is that I have to put a small pillow to make the seat very comfortable. However, I dont need that for 2016 Corolla. Overall, it's reliable car with great gas millage and great for my daily long distant driving.

05 Camry SE
By mbateyman

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Having driven my Camry for over a year, and almost 20,000 miles, I must say its truly an amazing vehicle. Although mine is a 4cyl. SE, its got some nice kick to it. I really think Camry owners get their money's worth because its all around a great car. Things don't break unexpectedly or unexplained. It never quits, very fun to drive, looks great, and the ride quality is just astonishing. And to add, I actually get about 23 to 24 in the city including quick take offs when I'm running late for work. Its nice when people envy your car! ***The only choice for SE 4cyl was manual but my vehicle is an automatic.

Ride Quality rocks. Great stock sound system (very clear). Vehicle is EXTREMELY response in every factor. MPG.

Engine is quite loud at high RPMs, You must buy the highest model up to get rear air vents and side air bags.

Not perfect, but pretty good
By m.r.

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is company vehicle, have had it for 2 years, 50,000 miles. Car is peppy for a 4 cylinder, much better than the Mazda6 I had before. Overall, car is very refined, smooth, quiet, very reliable. A couple beefs; some squeaks have appeared in this car and I have some rust appearing on the B pillar. Also, Toyota paint is very soft, chips and scratches easily - had same paint issue on 2001 Camry. Despite minor issues, would definitely get another one.

Smooth, quiet ride. Big trunk. Good gas mileage.

Seats could be more comfortable. Driving position awkward - steering wheel too far away, doesn't tilt down far enough. These problems have been addressed for 2007.

Best car yet
By BeachSixPack

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After owning many many cars, this one by far is the best I have owned. Drove it to Florida after buying it and was very pleased with its comfort, reliability, looks, and gas mileage in the 30s while traveling above 80 for extended periods of time. Great car.

Sunroof, 5 speed, spoiler.

More power couldn't hurt, but is more than sufficeint for the car.

So far, so good
By Surfdog

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Camry SE (4 cyl.) for almost two years, and have put a lot of miles on it. Absolutely no problems with it. I had always known the Toyota Camry to be a very dependable car. I had always thought it to be an ordinary, "family"-looking sedan though. When I saw the 2005 though my opinion changed. It seemed to have a sleeker presence to it. Since adding my new surfboard rack and front-end bra to the car, I have friends commenting on how sporty it looks. Have to admit, the new 2007 Camry is an awesome, very stylish car. I will likely make that my next car. Until then though, very happy with the 2005. I'm sold on Toyota. The car, the dealer, the company, the service.

The more compact and sleek look of the exterior. The interior panel...the orange glow of the SE is easy on the eyes. Great gas mileage. I do a lot of driving in L.A. traffic too, and brakes have been more durable than those on my Honda Accord (my last car). Toyota has been a very dependable car.

I did find the "hesitation" in the transmission (from a stopped position) a bit disconcerting at first, but am used to it now. Would like to have a "warning" bell when the gas gauge gets to that "warning" level, but no biggie.