2005 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
2005 Camry with balky transmission
By seaview7 on 10/21/12 05:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

2005 Camry SE V6 engine. Only 36,000 miles. The electronic transmission has been awful since day one. It balks at low speeds, and hesitates and jumps, like it can't find the right gear. Dealer says there is nothing they can do to correct. It's in the computer. Gas mileage around town with the V6 engine is bad. I drive fairly slow, but only average about 16 mpg. I should have got 4 cyl. Had factory recall in 2012 for a bad camshaft pulley. Dealer claims they also found my valve covers leaking oil. Charged me $600. The only thing I like about my car is the interior room, and the solid feel. Much better than the new Camry's. The 2013 Camry's feels "cheap" and the interior is tight.

More good than bad
By ellicott city on 05/25/07 23:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Yes, there is a hesitation problem, usually not from a long stop but when you slow down to the lowest gears then try to accelerate quickly. So it jerks sometimes. But once up and going, the car is very smooth and quiet. The engine sounds bad or burdened when accelerated hard though. Even though it's SE (V6), the ride is very comfortable even on the some bumps. I compared it with Honda accord (4-cyl). I felt that Accord has better transmission and build quality but the ride is terrible. I am getting 23.5 mpg on mostly highway usually traveling at 70 mph. It has a V6 punch and is somewhat fun to drive. The seat is comfy and it handles well.

HESITATION problem!
By Not happy on 11/03/05 11:55 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Owned 3 months with 1600 miles now, very dissatisfied with transmission hesitation. After normal slowing down and then reaccelerating, engine doesn't seem to know what to do. I'm praying Toyota will recall. Getting approx. 21 mpg. A/C and temperature lighted controls along with clock/passenger air bag monitor hard to see with normal sunlight. Love a breeze from a sunroof; but with Camry's open fully, can't feel any air w/o opening windows too. Performance P215/55/17 tires noisy on rough roads and over $175 each to buy - that's over $700 plus taxes & installation to replace all 4 tires & rated for only 20,000 miles. Front end design seems to attract many road stones and chips paint easily.

05 SEV6
By Hjm on 10/24/05 14:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

V6 SE, quiet and smooth ride. Springs and frame are adequately stiffer, yet still absorbs the bumps. Engine power is a little low for 3.3L. Reasonable fuel economy. Seat comfort and ergonomics are perfect. 5-speed automatic transmission seamless transtion but takes a while to adapt to the drivers' habit. Throttle by wire can get a little touchy sometimes. Factory Options get expensive really quick. Dual exhaust would make much sportier look. Toyota build, Lexus quality and style.

I Can't Believe its a Camry!
By pepdoc on 09/30/05 00:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I really love this car. I wanted something that handled well, went fast and was sporty, with cool stuff. This car is cool. The engine is sweet, it accelerates beautifully, and it is smooth and quiet. I often don't know it is running. I have a bad back and was worried about comfort in the seats. It is just great. I LOVE this car.

Great Car
By Alex on 08/28/05 00:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a 4th Camry that I owned. My father still drives my first Camry (160,000 miles on odometer). The handling and reliability of the SE impressed me from the first time a test drove the vehicle. The comfort and the feel of a sports car in a 4 door family sedan. I test drove BMW, SAAB and several other sedans. For the money - can't beat the Camry.

Disappointed in shift
By JimmyC on 08/24/05 09:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Car is OK but the transmission shift problem drive me nuts. Dealer says its normal, I just don't buy it. This is the only car that I have ever owned that has had a problem like this and it is my first foreign car. I have had cars since 1969 and never had a transmission shift like this. I have driven rental unit Camry's that were great. Why my car and why will the dealer not fix it?

Good Choice
By Arif on 08/15/05 12:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car has lot of space, good power and real good sporty design.

Acceleration Concern!
By Kerry on 06/22/05 14:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have always owned Toyotas. 76 celica 350,000, 87 Camry, and a 89 I still have at 287,000! I love my Camry. The 2005 is the first Camry in a long time I REALLY LIKE! Especially with the New Ground Effects! Makes it look so sporty! Good power too!

One month review
By Susan on 06/11/05 11:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love my new Camry. I thought I would miss my Pathfinder, but the Camry is so much fun to drive. It drives like a sports car, but looks like a sedan. It is a very solid car and the pick up is just great. It is very roomy and the trunk is huge ( a Sopranos trunk, three bodies). I was choosing between an Altima and the Camry and I know I made the better choice. The Camry has a much better, higher quality look and feel. I have been getting 24 mpg so far.