Used 2005 Toyota Camry XLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Like, but not Love, my XLE
By Josh

2005 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Very quiet, comfortable car. Toyota's auto-climate system is the best. It always knows exactly what to do. Very reliable, never had any problems with it. I don't especially love the car's handling because my former car was a Passat, but the Camry is an excellent car overall. The front end seems a little heavy for a 4cyl, which makes it lean more than it should in curves/corners. It does a good job of reminding me it's not a sports sedan. The seats are extremely comfortable for long trips. Get a spoiler..it really dresses the car up.

Favorite Features

Bumpin' JBL system; auto-climate system is the best ever; comfortable seats; black color looks really nice with spoiler and alloy rims; the time delay for auto-headlamps is perfect, and can be overridden by pressing the lock button twice.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission downshifts over the slightest incline while on cruise; brakes don't feel confident; mpg computer is not accurate; not getting reported mpg on fwy (26mpg/fwy); 100k and already have to replace struts; steering wheel A/C controls would be nice; standard seat warmers for leather seats

No American Car comes close to the Camry
By EJG

2005 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have driven many cars in my time. Saturn L-2000, Honda Accord 1994, Pontiac Sunfire 1996, Buick Century 1988 and 1998, Buick Lucerne, Dodge Charger (recent) and many others. Besides the Honda Accord, no other car listed comes near the Camry. I have had this car for 70k now, and nothing besides the tires have been replaced, not even the brakes. If you want a car that starts up every day, is safe, comfortable, and is refined, buy a Camry.

Favorite Features

Quality, safety, refinement, looks, seating, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel adjustments, better paint perhaps. Nothing else needed.

05 Camry XLE 4 CYL
By starlakebeer

2005 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new in 2005 w/all the bells and whistles avail at that time. It has been a wonderful car and handles well in all environments. It has carried us over Cascade Mountain passes with deep snow and safely across the deserts of Nevada, California and Arizona in the summer. The fastest I have ever driven the car is 95. From 65 to 95 stability seemed to improve. Solid and predictable. It handles corners extremely well, generally 15/20 mph over posted limits. Perhaps the tires help. They are Bridgestone V rated. Very comfortable on long 8-10 hrs driving days. Not as quiet as I would like but!! Will probably buy Toyota again.

Favorite Features

Mileage, cabin layout, driveability. Is excellent in curvy mountain environment. Lots of power for the long open freeways. Power seats & leather are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

A touch more attention to reducing noise from engine compartment and (depending on type of tires) road.

Fuel Economy Disappoints
By cwa

2005 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This model is up to Toyota's standards in build quality and reliability, but it suffers in comparison with my '98 Camry 4 (and my wife's former '97) in two respects. The engine is louder under acceleration, producing a very audible roar, and the fuel economy is less. The '97 and '98, EPA rated at 23/30, achieved 22/31. The '05, EPA rated 24/34, is getting 20/30 at best. If it weren't for the clearly inflated EPA rating, my disappointment would be less. Additionally, the dashboard display of avg mpg is consistently 5-6 mpg too high. If it says 36, I'm getting 30; if it says 24, I'm getting 19. Makes me think I'm getting EPA mileage when I'm not. How convenient for Toyota!

Favorite Features

Interior comfort, absence of road noise, steering wheel audio and display controls, RELIABILITY.

Suggested Improvements

REALISTIC FUEL ECONOMY RATINGS, ACCURATE DASH DISPLAYS, better fuel economy (I'd be happy with actual 22/32 and ratings which say so), quieter 4- cylinder engine, more attractive styling (this model looks like it was designed by a committee).

Ignorant Navigation!
By Vicki Nails

2005 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased an XLE 4 door Toyota with a navigation system which only came in a package consisting of heated seats and side air bags. The heated seats stay on for 5 minutes at a time and then shut off and come on again. The navigation system isn't programmed for many local streets and often suggests turning left when you need to turn right on interstate highways. I regret spending the additional money on this option. The heated seats should stay on at the driver's discretion. There is unacceptable road noise level. Long trips are not pleasant. I regret buying this car, and I can't wait to sell it and purchase another car. It won't be a Toyota!

Favorite Features

The exterior and interior color.

Suggested Improvements

Remodel the back end of the car! There was a very loud noise under the dashboard. The dealership wasn't able to ascertain the problem or see what was causing the noise. I have no confidence in this car! Can't wait to sell it!