Used 2005 Toyota Camry Standard Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

100K and going strong
By mjlk

2005 Toyota Camry Standard 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just hit 100,000 miles this week and this car has given me the most trouble free 100,000 of any vehicle I have owned in 30+ year of driving. not the most exciting car I've owned but highly recommend one if you are looking for a used car.

Favorite Features

Gets great gas mileage for size of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Interior materials a little cheap.

2005 Toyota Camry (base) - 5 spd manual
By DAN

2005 Toyota Camry Standard 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great car... I have put mostly highway miles on mine and am still on the original brakes after almost 5 years and 63000 miles. My only gripe is the paint/finish. I opted for a dealer- applied 5-yr super simonize wax and even with that, I still have deep chips and scratches. From driving on the hwy, I would've expected minor scratches on the hood from rocks, but these are like gouges. Other than that, this car has been amazing. I'll definitely purchase another Toyota as soon as I get 200000-250000 miles on this one.

Favorite Features

Reliability, 5000-mile recommended oil changes

Suggested Improvements

PAINT/FINISH

Reliable but not so fun to drive
By Topaz

2005 Toyota Camry Standard 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It's a very reliable car. Low maintenance. However, when I need a sudden burst to accelerate on the freeway, it almost redlines going from 55mph to 65mph.

Favorite Features

I like that the driver's side seat has many adjustment options. The center console is also very handy. Great place to charge your phone or leave personal items out of plain view.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the transmission.

Great All-Around Car
By Scott

2005 Toyota Camry Standard 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Our Camry has been flawless in the two years we've owned it. We have consistently gotten over 33 mpg and it handled two New Hampshire winters without a hitch. It's fun to drive, has decent pickup, and is comfortable to ride in for long trips. My wife and I have driven a number of other midsized rental cars on vacations and not once have we found a better vehicle for our needs.

Favorite Features

Large trunk, standard transmission, great "brights" on headlights, and excellent air conditioning/heating system. Also great gas mileage for a decent sized vehicle and the turning radius is unmatched.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats could be a bit deeper and backend rises which makes backing up difficult in some situations.

MY FIRST NEW CAR -IT'S A GOOD THING
By BRUCE D K

2005 Toyota Camry Standard 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well this being my first new car I can say that I did the research and even rented the 2004 mdl.for a weekend cruise to Vegas from L.A. The rental handled and performed flawlesly as does my 05 mdl. The only dif is the 5 speed automatic upgrade from the 4 spd on the 04 mdl. This car is for the most part a pleasure to drive, city driving or freeway or Death Valley for that matter.My avg frwy mpg is 32 and I don't drive the speed limit if at all possible . No speeding tickets yet ! Los Angeles in town mpg is realisticly 24. Toyota really did this little 4 cyl.eng. very right. There is no lack of power with it loaded or not.

Favorite Features

The standard stereo controls on the steering wheel Music Mestro. Wow I use that feature a lot. The automatic daytime running lights, you need all the visiblity you can get in this city day or night! Center armrest front and rear. Tons of storage space, A massive trunk folddown seatbacks ETC.

Suggested Improvements

From a stop it takes some getting used to not to give it to much gas as the car seems to jut or lurch forward. Same with the brakes, very touchy.The service people at the dealership test drove it/thats how they are? To much bass not enough tweeter in the basic sound syst. More clear coat on the paint