Used 2005 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 327 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

This car is ok, but.....
By yesitsme.

2005 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this used with 77,000 miles on it. The previous owners too good care of it. The fabric was nice and like new. Someone eventually ran into me at 101,000 and totaled it. It was good on gas, very comfortable and had power seats which I liked. The stereo sounded good when dialed up loud. The car looked nice except for the back looked outdated. I did a few minor repairs plus some major ones. There is a long bar in the front by the engine forget what they call it. It was going to cost me 1,200 to have fixed, I found someone for 700. It had some dry rot. Then around 100,000, the struts were going bad and that would have been 800. The owners had EuroTour Big O tires that were great and lasted a long time. Overall, an acceptable car. Too bad it was totaled.

bought in 197k miles. still runs great
By Boddy

2005 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a seller in CL for my daily 200 miles commuting. After driving 4000 miles, it still runs great. Handling is good for a front wheel drive car. In general, Im not an aggressive driver but like to drive at constant speed that gives overall mpg about 37. One full tank load can last for more than 500 miles. Of course I changed all the oils, fluids, filters (transmission and air), shocks and coolant when the first week I got this car. The transmission fluid was leaking but after replaced the crush washer. The problem solved. It does smoke at starting the car as everyone said. Some say it's valve seal but others say might be fuel left in cylinder and is normal, etc. But I never observe any oil consuming (I check my oil every other day) and the car passed the inspection. On little thing is that I have to put a small pillow to make the seat very comfortable. However, I dont need that for 2016 Corolla. Overall, it's reliable car with great gas millage and great for my daily long distant driving.

Bought it new in 2005 and would drive it anywhere
By Larry Ro.

2005 Toyota Camry Standard 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I hated this car when I first bought it new in 2005. My previous car was purchased new in 1995 and it was a Maxima with a six cylinder engine and five speed transmission and I kept it until I bought this Camry. It had 229,000 miles and it was a lot more fun to drive. It took me a while to get used to my Camry with a four cylinder engine and an automatic transmission and a lot of my friends teased me over this car. I used the Camry for my business and used to drive it a lot so I wanted better gas mileage. Anyway, 11 years later and with 143,000 miles and climbing I would still drive it cross country and know there would be no problems. It does smoke when I first start it if it sits for a few days and I read online that the valve seals leak (smokes for about 10 seconds) which causes the smoke but it is never down very much oil when I change it at 5,000 miles. Some people have complained about the paint but my battleship grey color has stood up very well. Anyway, it is a basic car and boring by many standards but it runs great. The maintenance has been one battery, I change the oil every 5,000 miles, tires and I've changed the transmission oil and coolant at 70,000 miles. I'll be doing it again very soon. Also the front brakes were changed and the rear brakes are original. The exhaust, water pump, timing chain, tranny, engine, radio etc. are original. With that said, it has been a great reliable car.

Quiet Comfy Efficient Most reliable
By Terry A

2005 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Pur new, love this car. Easy to handle, quiet, fun to drive, so reliable I hardly know the great dealer!

Good solid car
By Daniel

2005 Toyota Camry Standard 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

So i bought my 2005 Camry SE v6

I see complaints about handling but noticed all complaints are on the cheapest model camrys LE's base 4cyl

Mine handles like a champ (sway bars bigger rims/wider tires on the SE)

120,000 miles not a single issue other than my sunroof is touchy.

Gas milage is unbelievable for a good size sedan 34 hwy

I live in mohave county Az average temp in summer near 120, paint is still nearly perfect no fade.

Trunk space would make al capone blush, I could hide 10 bodies in there.

225hp is just right, my altima SER was overboard and caused wheel spin 285hp,
Plus tires were a yearly issue on the altima.

Build quality... It ain't no BMW but its better than average.

Great car overall, not fancy but still classy.