Used 2005 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Material and Mechanical Parts are so Cheap
By Thuy Vp

2005 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I own 2005 Toyota Camry (this is my 2nd Camry) and the quality of this one is terrible. The fabric inside has rolled up cotton ball. The fabric of the ceiling inside the car was all falling apart. The plastic inside is all loosen up. Its value is really bad compared to my previous Camry. My sister bought a 2012 Camry and the same thing happened to her. The material is so cheap. Not to mention all the mechanical parts - they don't last like the old Camry. We decided No more Camry and had shared this problem with everyone we know.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Use quality material and lasting parts.

I have never driven a Camry I liked
By kittycats

2005 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have owned 4 Camry's that my husband keeps bringing home because they are cheap. Well duh, they are cheap because they are CHEAP. Everyone of them lost their engine around 150,000 despite the fact that we do everything the manual says to do (I have a beautiful oil slick in my garage too). The ride is awful, pickup worse and not all the great on gas. This last one was in an accident and gratefully no injuries, but was totaled (I thanked God for that one too). After my experience with this model, I honestly do miss my AMC hornet, at least it was peppier, fun to drive and did not blow up on me. I do not recommend.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Where to begin? Scrap it and start over from the tires up.

I'm sold on Camrys
By dbjbravo

2005 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car with 30k miles in 2006 and have now put another 100k on it. Aside from routine fluid and tire changes, this car has given me absolutely no mechanical difficulties. It got nearly 40 miles per gallon on the freeway when I first got it, but now (2013) it's closer to 32. Here are some cons: the keyless entry stopped working on me a year ago; the back speakers shattered on me into little pieces two years ago (this seems to be a common problem -- the sun pretty much destroys them); the molding on the cd player began to become unsealed from the heat of the sun. Overall, this has been a spectacular car. I plan on driving it until it's totally dead.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is great. I like the look of the car on the inside and out. The seats (front and back) are comfortable for long drives. Sound system is great.

Suggested Improvements

Those back speaker covers are ghetto. They crumbled into tiny pieces on me from becoming dilapidated by the sun when it was only five years old.

2005 Camry with balky transmission
By seaview7

2005 Toyota Camry SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

2005 Camry SE V6 engine. Only 36,000 miles. The electronic transmission has been awful since day one. It balks at low speeds, and hesitates and jumps, like it can't find the right gear. Dealer says there is nothing they can do to correct. It's in the computer. Gas mileage around town with the V6 engine is bad. I drive fairly slow, but only average about 16 mpg. I should have got 4 cyl. Had factory recall in 2012 for a bad camshaft pulley. Dealer claims they also found my valve covers leaking oil. Charged me $600. The only thing I like about my car is the interior room, and the solid feel. Much better than the new Camry's. The 2013 Camry's feels "cheap" and the interior is tight.

Favorite Features

My 2005 has good Interior room and nice quality dashboard and door panels. But seats are hard. My 2005 seems to have more room than the new 2012-2013 Camry's. The new Camry's have cheap plastic on door panels and dash. The doors feel light and cheap. The seats are smaller in the new Camry's.

Suggested Improvements

I hope the transmission and gas mileage is better in the new Camry's.

Love this car
By hammond2

2005 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my 2005 Camry LE since 2004 and I absolutely love it. It has over 160,000 km on it and apart from brakes, tires and oil changes, I have not spent a penny for other repairs. I drive to Florida and back every year and I really push it. This 4 cyl. is very performing and very, very reliable. I even pull by bass boat all summer long!!! My wife loves it too. No rattles, no rust, no problems!!!! What a car!!!