Used 2004 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Toyotas are Very Reliable
By BT

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a 30-year owner of Toyota--had a 1981 Toyota Corona for 16 years and sold it to a friend who drove it another three years before trading it in. I had a lovely 1998 Toyota Camry -- only problem before sold it was getting an oil leak stopped--it was costly to get to, but the part was cheap to fix, labor was excessive due to how hard it was to get to. Had a Buick in 2005, and was really glad when purchased this 2004 Camry in 2007 with only 9,000 miles on it. Car has a popping sound when turn wheel to park in garage at night. Am told if it bothers me, labor cost to get to part is about $250; it's not bothering me that much yet. Was in an accident in 1988 Camry; it saved my life I think.

Favorite Features

Recirculator in the cabin; didn't have this in the Buick I had for a short time in 2005; important to me since I have problems breathing the outside air of other vehicles that don't comply with emissions and older vehicles still on the road. Like the quiet ride on the highway trips. Favorite car!

Suggested Improvements

Tires are not the best on these cars; can never expect to get the miles on them that the manufacturer claims. Since I bought in 2007, watching for any dryness on the rims for safety sake. Currently have about 29,000 miles on the car. First owner drove very little before he passed and son sold it.

Thumbs up Toyota
By Patty

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Hi folks I just wanted you all to know that when Toyota built this car they did it right with crashes. My 18 yr old was in a rollover, it rolled three times and she walked away with 6 stitches in her left hand and the inside was unharmed. The outside however did what it was designed to do, it broke away from the driver. Thank you Toyota for a well made car. I will be looking for a new one just like this one.

Favorite Features

This car was a good buy for my family and me. I also like the large opening of the trunk.

Suggested Improvements

None keep up the good work

2004 Totyota Camry Beware
By Dan

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I started experiencing shifting problems, but the dealer couldn't fix it. While turning on a busy 4 lane highway, the transmission went out. I do not abuse this car (I am too old to beat any car up). Now I have a $4000 bill for a new transmission. I have found out that this has been a problem for other owners but Toyota will not acknowledge or take car of their problems. Other than that the motor ran well and I got good mileage, but I would never buy another one.

Suggested Improvements

better transmissions

Cool Camry
By Ashleymae

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car 9 months ago with 34,000 miles. It now has 68,900. So far I have just had to replace the front brake pads. It does have a couple of rattles in the dash that I can't find. I turn up the radio and that takes care of that. The paint job could use a little improvement no shine, dull. The sunroof has a wind whistle and I have to tap the close button and it closes all the way. No leaks so far. Stinky smell coming from the AC vents. A trip to the dealer for the AC refresher treatment cured that little problem. My Camry has the 4 banger and gets around 24/26 city and 28/34 highway. I have a lead foot so this is good. I also like the fact that it has a time chain instead of a belt.

Favorite Features

Great fuel economy. Quick pick up. Easy to drive and a great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Paint job my biggest complaint. Cannot get it to shine. Paint looks flat. I've had it clay barred and had high speed wax job, nothing helps. Next step is to have it repainted a high gloss Chevrolet white.

Very Good, But With Problems
By BigBird

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not the "bulletproof" Toyota I expected, but still a very good car for the price. The intermediate steering shaft went @ 36K and the water pump was leaking slightly @ the block. Both fixed under warranty. The front driver's seat has a squeak when you sit down and the wipers squeak against the window (tried both after market and Toyota replacements). Unlike others, no problems with the paint, rust @ the trunk lid, odors from the A/C or heater, or the auto transmission (shifts fine). Makes you wonder if Toyota has "built on Monday" problems like GM used to have. Got 60K out of the original Potenza tires -- I know, that's unbelievable. Rotated them often and watched the pressure.

Favorite Features

The 4-cylinder engine is all the power you need. Took 2 adults w/luggage and the A/C running up and down the Great Smoky mountains with no problems (regular 87 octane gas). Car is nice & quiet @ 80 mph, too.

Suggested Improvements

Do NOT trust the computer to calculate your mileage. Calculate it manually. You'll be surprised to see that the computer is OVERSTATING your mileage by 20%!! This is very deceptive on Toyota's part, I think. The computer knows EXACTLY how much gas you are using.