2004 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Great and Reliable Family Sedan
By Vinaay on 10/24/07 20:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new in 2004 and drove about 45000 miles so far. No problem. Excellent in driving. Only drawback would be gas consumption compared to hybrids. If you are not planning to buy a new hybrid, this would be a excellent choice. Peace of mind.

The plain yogurt sedan
By steam loco 76 on 10/08/07 21:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first Toyota and probably my last. Transmission replaced at 2300 miles. Problem returned at 5600 miles-traced to faulty valve body. Trunk lid rust at six months- repainted under warranty. Several squeaks and rattles from the dash and front door could not be fixed. Thermostat failed at 40K, not covered. Steering intermediate shaft loose and clunking at 42K. Toyota refused coverage even though a TSB was issued about this problem. Repair cost over $600. Engine always used about 16 oz of anti-freeze every 5K. Toyota said that was "within tolerable limits". Drive by wire throttle tip-in is very abrupt making a smooth launch tough.

It grows on you
By Onxyl on 08/07/07 18:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a 2004 LE V6 Camry used. Already have a 2001 LE V6. '04 model has a different body style that is vastly quieter and somewhat larger. The 04 was the first year for the 5 sp auto on the V6 and improves mileage on trips and decreases noise at high speeds, but the transmission shifting is much worse (and erratic) in the city than my 01. All TSBs have been applied. Dealer indicates it is operating as designed. Transmission also now requires Toyota fluid (vs Dextron 3 for 01). Ride seems somewhat smoother, but this is less noticable than the improvement in cabin noise. Rear doors are longer, making exit/entry more difficult. Trunk went from large to absolutely huge.

So Wrong!
By teblhasa on 03/04/07 16:24 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car! I traded my '95 Celica for one last fall, and there is not one regret! Its fast, fun, sporty, and it is so cavernous! So what if it doesn't get 40mpg - if you want that, get a Prius! I agree with 2% of the ratings out there as far as the odd tranny shifting & paint scratches, but that's it. If you want a solidly built, safe & reliable car that is fun to drive in every condition, get a Camry.

Perfect car
By jbk on 02/05/07 09:28 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought Camry LE limited edition in 2006 December. This is just perfect car to me. Engine and transmission are amazing. Fun to drive, very comfortable, design is beautiful, I think 2004 model is better than 2006 new model in exterior design. Gas mileage is somewhat unsatisfactory. Average mpg 22.0 I think this low mpg is due to cold weather. 3-4 minutes warming up before start, and hitting in driving. Camry is the best car in mid-size. Any car is not matching to this camry.

Toyota Quality Slipping
By first toyota on 12/20/06 13:29 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First Toyota my wife and I have owned. Looking forward to many trouble free years based on review of others. After a year our car had the fuel system replaced. Last week the steering shaft was replaced due to a defect. This will be our last Toyota.

Satisfied Customer
By Dave on 10/09/06 05:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really like driving my Camry. It is a fantastic car. I recently replaced the tires and put Michlin X radial on it. The ride has become extremely quiet and very smooth. The sound system is just perfect and I get very good gas mileage from it.

5th Camry, and Loving It!
By James on 09/24/06 18:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love my '04 Camry LE! Great car! Great quality! Super quiet, and super- solid! Attractive, upscale design!

Throttle Problems
By Tony on 09/21/06 17:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The brakes were replacded within a week of purchasing this vehicle. The throttle body was replaced @ 20,000 mi & again @38,000 (under warranty). Both times the car "stalled out" while driv- ing @ hwy speeds. I bought a Toyota for quality & have had more problems than my '04 Gran Prix that I sold @ 140K mi.

Toyota Camry 2004
By Rich on 09/20/06 20:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Most of my driving & ownership experience has been positive. There is some evidence that points to trouble with the braking system, as well as the interior design does limit vision when looking over your shoulder to check for blindspots.