2004 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Throttle Body Failure - Recall Coming?
By pt on 02/01/10 13:03 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

As has been reported to Toyota and the NHTSA, the throttle body will fail on this vehicle due to a design flaw. Do a web search on this model of Toyota and you'll see numerous instances of "throttle body failure." We just had to spend $1100 getting it replaced on our 2004 Camry and because it is a design flaw, it will fail again. The car will simply stop in the middle of the road with no way of restarting it.

Best car I've ever owned
By clxi on 01/02/10 21:33 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

20 mpg city, 35 on the road, comfortable, quick and roomy ! I replaced the Michelins with Firestone Firehawk GT's and it became better in the corners and better in the snow.

Lived up to its rep, so far
By John on 12/30/09 12:27 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After 86k miles, my Camry is still trucking along with no problems, no unusual expense. The worst I've had is tires that wore prematurely (Potenza) -- nice performance tires but wore out at 35k. On the good side, no need for brake job 'til 60k! Aside from that, only 1 regret that it did not come with much tinting! making it hot in summer. Otherwise a fantastic car and the only comfortable seat I've ever owned.

Unusual repairs
By TED on 10/22/09 03:14 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 2004 Camry, that I purchased new, needed the brakes repaired @ my 3 day check up. I am now getting the throttle body replaced for the 3rd time ($1400.-). I also replaced an Oxygen sensor. I drove my last vehicle, a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 140,000 with the original throttle body & Oxygen sensor. I thought I was buying the reliable/dependable vehicle they advertise. I got a clunker!

Favorite Car
By jim88mm on 10/07/09 16:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Camry new in 2004 and am approaching 200k miles, consistently getting 30 mpg. Recently replaced valve stem guides, but that is the only major repair. This has been a fantastic purchase.

Dependable!
By Hmoob_kid1058 on 09/22/09 20:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Although the height of the interior is fairly short, the car provides an excellent amount of leg room. The dashboard is equipped with the standard settings with the max speed reaching to 110mph. To the right of the dashboard lies the music system, which includes CDs, cassettes, and radio, and beneath the music system is the heating and cooling controls. Being a car with auto transmission, the car is installed with an automatic-stick just to the right of the driver. Along with the automatic stick shift is the hill parking handle, and two cup holders for whatever drinks that the driver may have. Between the backrests of the passenger and driver seat is a small compartment to store misc. items.

Caution - 2004 Camry
By traveler464 on 09/11/09 15:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Please note that if you have a 2004 or 2005 Toyota Camry, you may want to dump it now before it is too late. The vehicle has a part called the throttle body assembly which was of a faulty design and was redesigned. Toyota sent out a technical service bulletin reference number EG023-05. This part, the throttle body assembly with motor, costs $934. On our 2004 Toyota Camry XLE, replaced this on 08-06- 2007. On 09-09-2009, this part quit again and my wife had to walk an extended distance and Toyota refused to repair this faulty part for less than $1100.66. They had every excuse imaginable. Bottom line - Toyota does not stand behind their product - DUMP THEM.

The Best Car That I Have Ever Owned!
By Tom P. on 07/19/09 22:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle used with 90,000km on the odom. I paid the full price as if it was brand new: $33,000. The interior was not in great condition. I hated the silver color. I drove it 5,000km before it was stolen from Edmonton, Alberta. It was recovered 3 months later with 40,000km than when I bought it. It was driven day and night and was stolen by drug dealers I suppose. The engine was gone on the vehicle due to not changing the oil. If you are going to steal a vehicle maybe perhaps check the oil once in a while! The car while I had it was fun to drive and with the 4 cylinder extremely excellent!

Problem
By Marcosr111 on 07/01/09 07:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Steering column has begun to click when I turn. Not sure what the problem is. As the Toyota service mechanic told me, not to worry this happens to all Camry's. When AC is on idle problems occur when I start to slow down. It feels like the car is about to shut off. When I come home from work around 5pm. I do not use my car until the next day which is around 8:30am. Car feels like not turning on as if it was parked for a few months. It might be the battery.

Toyotas are Very Reliable
By BT on 06/22/09 12:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a 30-year owner of Toyota--had a 1981 Toyota Corona for 16 years and sold it to a friend who drove it another three years before trading it in. I had a lovely 1998 Toyota Camry -- only problem before sold it was getting an oil leak stopped--it was costly to get to, but the part was cheap to fix, labor was excessive due to how hard it was to get to. Had a Buick in 2005, and was really glad when purchased this 2004 Camry in 2007 with only 9,000 miles on it. Car has a popping sound when turn wheel to park in garage at night. Am told if it bothers me, labor cost to get to part is about $250; it's not bothering me that much yet. Was in an accident in 1988 Camry; it saved my life I think.