Used 2004 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Acceleration Issues & Rattling Noises
By Gabe Schick

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I read every review on this thread and it appears I am 1 of about 20 fellow 2004 Camry owners who have experienced similar, if not the same, issues with acceleration and/or rattling noises near the driver side firewall area. It's a shame, because prior to this Camry, which I purchased used from Carsense in 2014 w/76K miles on it, I was a devoted Toyota owner. Now my opinion of Toyota has changed. My advice to someone considering this model would be to move onto another option. Don't take your chances. And research EVERYTHING prior to signing the dotted line. Don't pass on the extended warranty either (even tough that's not a 100% guaranteed safety net either).

Favorite Features

Heated seats during those ice-cold winters here in the Northeast.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota should own up to it's engineering discrepancies and recall this model. It's obvious that there are several 2004 Camry owners experiencing the same acceleration and rattling issues.

Love my Toyota!
By maddogca

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was a little skeptical about getting this car at first. Now, I'm glad that I made the purchase. It has NEVER left me stranded and has ALWAYS sent me from Point A to Point B. So far, the only maintenance I have done to my car was oil changes, a new battery, and tires. I also love the moonroof and the leather seats. The JBL sound system is also a pretty nice system. The only thing that I can think that I dislike is the rear window shade. Other than that, thumbs up on this end. Toyota's might be expensive to purchase, but maintenance cost and insurance are SO LOW that it makes up for it.

Camry XLE Opinion
By TangoKid999

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Camry XLE V6 is an excellent car, probably one of the most reliable cars on the road today. We have had '0' defects and have spent $0 on repairs in the first 30,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Truly well equipped for under $30k.

Suggested Improvements

Two areas that could improve: Average gas mileage is 25 mpg... should be higher. The cabin area is a little loud... they could dampen the road noise a little more.

Hesitation is normal
By Wil123

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Everything about this car is great except for the 5 speed automatic transmission. The transmission can't seem to decide what gear is correct and is always shifting. In addition, the drive-by-wire throttle combined with the transmission causes the car to hesitate when acceleration is needed most. Toyota says that hesitation is the driver's fault and that when the car is driven, the accelerator pedal must not be floored or pressed too quickly otherwise hesitation will result. Toyota told me that they may or may not address this issue in the future, but at the present time I am told that "hesitation is normal for this design".

Favorite Features

Comfortable quiet interior

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the 5 speed automatic transmission. The hesitation in this design is dangerous and because of Toyota's lack of concern, this will be the last Toyota product I ever own.

Toyota
By Pasco

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only addition I would really like is a steering wheel with the radio controls.I had that option in my Honda and really miss it.It drives like a dream.

Favorite Features

compass

Suggested Improvements

add a steering wheel with radio controls