Used 2004 Toyota Camry XLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Throttle Body Failure - Recall Coming?
By pt

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

As has been reported to Toyota and the NHTSA, the throttle body will fail on this vehicle due to a design flaw. Do a web search on this model of Toyota and you'll see numerous instances of "throttle body failure." We just had to spend $1100 getting it replaced on our 2004 Camry and because it is a design flaw, it will fail again. The car will simply stop in the middle of the road with no way of restarting it.

Best car I've ever owned
By clxi

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

20 mpg city, 35 on the road, comfortable, quick and roomy ! I replaced the Michelins with Firestone Firehawk GT's and it became better in the corners and better in the snow.

Power Seat, sun roof, acceleration and trunk space.

CD player controls on the steering wheel, and redesign the seat belt pulleys.

Caution - 2004 Camry
By traveler464

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Please note that if you have a 2004 or 2005 Toyota Camry, you may want to dump it now before it is too late. The vehicle has a part called the throttle body assembly which was of a faulty design and was redesigned. Toyota sent out a technical service bulletin reference number EG023-05. This part, the throttle body assembly with motor, costs $934. On our 2004 Toyota Camry XLE, replaced this on 08-06- 2007. On 09-09-2009, this part quit again and my wife had to walk an extended distance and Toyota refused to repair this faulty part for less than $1100.66. They had every excuse imaginable. Bottom line - Toyota does not stand behind their product - DUMP THEM.

Gas mileage is good.

Review and change the replacement policy for the throttle body assembly. If you have a faulty design don't force your errors on your loyal customers. Strange that this area is NOT covered in any extended warranty plan either!! WE JUST HAD OUR LAST TOYOTA after over fifteen years of Toyota ownership

Very Good, But With Problems
By BigBird

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not the "bulletproof" Toyota I expected, but still a very good car for the price. The intermediate steering shaft went @ 36K and the water pump was leaking slightly @ the block. Both fixed under warranty. The front driver's seat has a squeak when you sit down and the wipers squeak against the window (tried both after market and Toyota replacements). Unlike others, no problems with the paint, rust @ the trunk lid, odors from the A/C or heater, or the auto transmission (shifts fine). Makes you wonder if Toyota has "built on Monday" problems like GM used to have. Got 60K out of the original Potenza tires -- I know, that's unbelievable. Rotated them often and watched the pressure.

The 4-cylinder engine is all the power you need. Took 2 adults w/luggage and the A/C running up and down the Great Smoky mountains with no problems (regular 87 octane gas). Car is nice & quiet @ 80 mph, too.

Do NOT trust the computer to calculate your mileage. Calculate it manually. You'll be surprised to see that the computer is OVERSTATING your mileage by 20%!! This is very deceptive on Toyota's part, I think. The computer knows EXACTLY how much gas you are using.

Better late than never?
By Rick Wunder

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's been 4 years since I picked up my Camry. It now has 99,000 miles, and I have had zero problems with it. I replaced the original Michelin tires at 75k miles, along with the rear brakes. Front brakes were done at 98,000 miles. I'd like to see improved instrument panel lighting. It is difficult for my 59 year old eyes to see the gauges (including the speedometer) at night. From what I've seen, this has been improved in later model years. Although this is a lot of car for the money, I would have gladly spent a bit more for traction control, but it was not available with the 4 cyl. engine.

I love the passenger room and storage space in the passenger compartment. I also love the large trunk.

Improve instrument panel lighting. Offer traction control for all models, not just the V6.