2004 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Throttle Body Failure - Recall Coming?
By pt on 02/01/10 13:03 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

As has been reported to Toyota and the NHTSA, the throttle body will fail on this vehicle due to a design flaw. Do a web search on this model of Toyota and you'll see numerous instances of "throttle body failure." We just had to spend $1100 getting it replaced on our 2004 Camry and because it is a design flaw, it will fail again. The car will simply stop in the middle of the road with no way of restarting it.

Best car I've ever owned
By clxi on 01/02/10 21:33 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

20 mpg city, 35 on the road, comfortable, quick and roomy ! I replaced the Michelins with Firestone Firehawk GT's and it became better in the corners and better in the snow.

Caution - 2004 Camry
By traveler464 on 09/11/09 15:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Please note that if you have a 2004 or 2005 Toyota Camry, you may want to dump it now before it is too late. The vehicle has a part called the throttle body assembly which was of a faulty design and was redesigned. Toyota sent out a technical service bulletin reference number EG023-05. This part, the throttle body assembly with motor, costs $934. On our 2004 Toyota Camry XLE, replaced this on 08-06- 2007. On 09-09-2009, this part quit again and my wife had to walk an extended distance and Toyota refused to repair this faulty part for less than $1100.66. They had every excuse imaginable. Bottom line - Toyota does not stand behind their product - DUMP THEM.

Very Good, But With Problems
By BigBird on 07/04/08 12:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not the "bulletproof" Toyota I expected, but still a very good car for the price. The intermediate steering shaft went @ 36K and the water pump was leaking slightly @ the block. Both fixed under warranty. The front driver's seat has a squeak when you sit down and the wipers squeak against the window (tried both after market and Toyota replacements). Unlike others, no problems with the paint, rust @ the trunk lid, odors from the A/C or heater, or the auto transmission (shifts fine). Makes you wonder if Toyota has "built on Monday" problems like GM used to have. Got 60K out of the original Potenza tires -- I know, that's unbelievable. Rotated them often and watched the pressure.

Better late than never?
By Rick Wunder on 06/09/08 13:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's been 4 years since I picked up my Camry. It now has 99,000 miles, and I have had zero problems with it. I replaced the original Michelin tires at 75k miles, along with the rear brakes. Front brakes were done at 98,000 miles. I'd like to see improved instrument panel lighting. It is difficult for my 59 year old eyes to see the gauges (including the speedometer) at night. From what I've seen, this has been improved in later model years. Although this is a lot of car for the money, I would have gladly spent a bit more for traction control, but it was not available with the 4 cyl. engine.

Best car I have ever had!
By leyvagrl on 05/06/08 17:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the funnest family sedan that I think anyone could own! I have so much fun in this car, it picks up quick, it's cute and its very roomy & comfortable inside. I am a mother of 3 & the car is practical and something that dosen't "scream mommy!" I put a dark tint on the windows, put new rims on it & made it more "me".

It's been perfect
By Sara on 03/28/08 07:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've been driving my 2004 Camry for 4.5 years now and have never had a single problem with any part of the car. I see another Camry in my future!

Toyota Quality Slipping
By first toyota on 12/20/06 13:29 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First Toyota my wife and I have owned. Looking forward to many trouble free years based on review of others. After a year our car had the fuel system replaced. Last week the steering shaft was replaced due to a defect. This will be our last Toyota.

TOYOTA TODAY TOYO TA FOREVER !!
By MLBTOYOTA CITY on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I PURSCHASED A NEW 1988 TOYOTA COROLLA IT NOW HAS 220,000 WITHOUT ANY MAJOR REPAIRS. I PURCHASHED A NEW 2004 CAMRY XLE MODEL ON 8/09/04. THE CAR HAS BEEN GREAT SO FAR, OF COURSE IT WAS FOR MY LOVELY WIFE WHO TRUELY DESERVES IT. SHE WAITED FOR 16 BIG YEARS FOR A NEW CAR. MY WALLET HOPES I CAN GET 16 MORE YEARS OF EXCELLENT SERVICE FROM THE CAMRY. I TRUELY RECOMMEND ANYONE WANTING A DEPENABLE CAR TO TEST DRIVE THE CAMRY OR BETTER YET RENT A CAMRY FOR A WEEK AND REALLY TEST IT OUT !!

First Camry
By stevejohn on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have always wanted a Camry because all my friends that have them have loved them. I have really enjoyed mine now for 5 months. The ride is very smooth and it holds 4 men comfortably. Gas milage is good. My only complaints are the car seems to have difficulty shifting from 1st to 2nd gear at times. This seems to happen when going medium speed (not a problem when accelerating slowly or rapidly). It also seems to ride a little rough first thing in the morning.

1 2 3 4 5 next »