Used 2004 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Acceleration Issues & Rattling Noises
By Gabe Schick

2004 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I read every review on this thread and it appears I am 1 of about 20 fellow 2004 Camry owners who have experienced similar, if not the same, issues with acceleration and/or rattling noises near the driver side firewall area. It's a shame, because prior to this Camry, which I purchased used from Carsense in 2014 w/76K miles on it, I was a devoted Toyota owner. Now my opinion of Toyota has changed. My advice to someone considering this model would be to move onto another option. Don't take your chances. And research EVERYTHING prior to signing the dotted line. Don't pass on the extended warranty either (even tough that's not a 100% guaranteed safety net either).

Heated seats during those ice-cold winters here in the Northeast.

Toyota should own up to it's engineering discrepancies and recall this model. It's obvious that there are several 2004 Camry owners experiencing the same acceleration and rattling issues.

Best car ever!!!
By carmom11

2004 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought mine used in 2005 with 20K on it. Just traded it in (2014) with 175,000. Never replaced anything but the typical disposables! This car just goes and goes and never brakes down or needs repairs. I wish they still built them like this. Best value and reliability!

Impressed
By atomicalex7

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I recently drove my grandmothers camry on a 800 mile round trip road trip with 4 adults and a trunk full of stuff. At first, I was worried about the power because we were going to be going up and down mountains all day, but there were no problems. Even up the steepest grades, no power was lost and it even stayed in overdrive. A majority of the time the car was pushing 80, and the ride was very relaxing with no road noise and responsive steering. It was a very comfortable car to ride in and the trip average was 30mpg both ways. The car has 68,000 miles and the only thing that was ever replaced were tires, brakes (65,000 miles) and a steering bushing.

Full size spare tire, big trunk, fuel-efficient peppy engine, effortless steering, visibility, reliability.

More exciting interior, 5 or 6 speed tranny.

100k+ and aiming for a million
By lord_falkland

2004 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

bought it new for Xmas back in 03, couldn't resist the 0% APR offered by Toyota Financing. Anyway it'll be close to 10 years since then and I've driven it almost all over the PST/MST zones. City economy is never higher than 24, freeway cruising between 75-80 nets 29 and back-road cruising between 45-55 nets a high of 36. Yep 36 but I rarely drive that slow for that long so that almost never happens. I keep up with all the scheduled maintenance as a rule, change the oil every 3-4k miles and it just keeps on trucking. 200 lbs/ft tq is enough to carry a family of 5 from the coast to the peaks with a trunk full of luggage. And food. And a cooler too. I almost bought another 04 once, haha

ride quality base stereo front AND rear legroom

handles like a boat & turns like a cruise-ship, definitely not built for the twisties

No more Toyota Camry!
By 2ben91

2004 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was gifted this car two years ago after a family member purchased a new car. Having a 2000 Nissan Maxima, I decided this would an upgrade. Boy was I wrong. This car gets the same MPG as my Maxima, about 20-22 in town and 26 on the highway. For a vehicle with only 70,000 miles when I got it, and a Toyota, it sure has a lot of problems. It eats tires and brakes, it leaves me stranded, and it's most recent repair needed, a new Throttle Body, costs upwards of 1,400 dollars at only 95 k! I am going back to my Maxima after two years in the Toyota, and couldn't be happier. Newer and more expensive isn't always better!

Sunroof, interior room, trunk space, nice speakers

Too many to list! Unreliable Poor gas mileage for a 4 cylinder Uncomfortable seat Poor lumbar support Seat fabric collects hair and fuzz Headlights get dirty from inside out Gas gauge is a joke Power Lock issues Fabric on pillars peeling off Expensive repairs Eats brakes Eats tires Poor handling Terrible seat design Spoiler wiggles in wind Transmission issues Throttle body failure- common for this model