Used 2003 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

No problems yet
By Jon Allison

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased used with 25,000 miles and now have 166,000 miles on the car. I routinely get 31-33 mpg traveling at 70-75 mph. I change oil every 4K miles and at 100k had spark plugs, belts and trans fluid changed. At 135K replaced front brake pads and rotors. Only non maintenance issue was at 150k when the air conditioning would not work. The a/c button would flash on and off and the compressor clutch would not engage. I looked at some online posts and found that thea particular AC relay part number had been causing problems and had been replaced. For $55 I plugged in a new relay and AC has worked fine since. Car is still tight and rattle free, love the JBL stereo and huge trunk.

JBL stereo, mileage, quiet, smooth ride and low cost associated with ownership.

Steering is a bit vague and wish that the lower part of drivers seat was longer and extended closer to the knee when seated.

100K and still going.
By Tim Kloth

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car because of its reliability reputation. We bought it new. We just turned 100K miles and have had no major problems. New battery at 3 yrs. New brakes and tires at about 86K miles. Thats it. We still get just over 30 mpg on the highway with one passenger, full trunk and A/C on. The front seats could be more comfortable and we really don't like the throttle-by-wire system. The excessive lag can be dangerous if you are not planning for it. Also, the five speed trans sometimes hunts between 1-2-3 resulting in a sudden downshift with a clunk or an up shift and surge. The readouts for the radio and temp controls are hard to read in sunlight.

Reliability. Gas mileage. Good back seat and trunk room. Split fold-down rear seat is also handy.

Fix the throttle-by-wire system. Make the seats, especially front, more comfortable. Fix the 5 speed trans' hunting problem. Use a different display for the radio and temp controls to make them more readable.

Good Car, Great Value
By MD Customer

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. It is very reliable and has low cost maintenance. Great for a family or a single person. I purchased my car used and it was the best car purchase. I sold it at 93,000 miles but it is still a great car with a lot of life left. I also learned the resale value is great which was another bonus.

The best thing about the car was the gas mileage and the ride, especially on long trips. It is a great car.

2003 Camry SE
By mac0s9user

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am a Toyota mechanic and this is the car I trained on . I saw how well it was built and all the redundant systems and had to buy one. Got mine last year and at 80,000 now am having no problems. Brakes are getting due but for me thats only like $200. Best value for the money. I am adding different aftermarket headlights for originality but other than that it's perfect!

3 spoke leather wrapped steering wheel and instrument cluster, stock rear spoiler ties in great. Great pin-striping and wheels as well.

An audio input jack and thats it!

Best car ever
By kennycrowshaw

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After being a GM man I made the jump to Toyota. Best decision I've ever made with cars. This car is comfortable, quiet and best of all great fuel economy on the highway. Last week my wife was rear-ended by a Chev half ton as she was stopped to turn left. He hit her traveling over 30mph - the half ton has been written off and the Camry is repairable. Best of all my wife came out of it with just a little bit of a stiff neck. Also it is very predictable in rain and snow. To sum up this is a safe, reliable and not bad styled car I highly recommend.

Fuel economy and quite smooth ride.

Steering linkage has a clunk in it. The dealer says it will cost $600 to repair but it isn't a safety hazard so I can live with it.

• SUV