Used 2003 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 379 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

beautiful car but...
By L

2003 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Camry since August 2003, beautiful car, smooth ride, but the air conditioning had a leak inside the car 1 1/2 yrs. in and flooded the carpets, Toyota replaced the part but did nothing to repair the wet/ moldy smelling rugs. I had to pay a detailing company to clean and restore the interior of my car. The bottom of the car scrapes speed bumps at under 5 mph, and low driveways. Even with brand new tires it does very poorly in the snow, slides all over the road at very low speeds, cannot even back up off my flat driveway in a 1/2 inch of snow. Very scary to drive in winter weather.

Moonroof and the pick up. You're doing 70 before you know it.

Make it better and safer in the snow.

No problems yet
By Jon Allison

2003 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased used with 25,000 miles and now have 166,000 miles on the car. I routinely get 31-33 mpg traveling at 70-75 mph. I change oil every 4K miles and at 100k had spark plugs, belts and trans fluid changed. At 135K replaced front brake pads and rotors. Only non maintenance issue was at 150k when the air conditioning would not work. The a/c button would flash on and off and the compressor clutch would not engage. I looked at some online posts and found that thea particular AC relay part number had been causing problems and had been replaced. For $55 I plugged in a new relay and AC has worked fine since. Car is still tight and rattle free, love the JBL stereo and huge trunk.

JBL stereo, mileage, quiet, smooth ride and low cost associated with ownership.

Steering is a bit vague and wish that the lower part of drivers seat was longer and extended closer to the knee when seated.

100K and still going.
By Tim Kloth

2003 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car because of its reliability reputation. We bought it new. We just turned 100K miles and have had no major problems. New battery at 3 yrs. New brakes and tires at about 86K miles. Thats it. We still get just over 30 mpg on the highway with one passenger, full trunk and A/C on. The front seats could be more comfortable and we really don't like the throttle-by-wire system. The excessive lag can be dangerous if you are not planning for it. Also, the five speed trans sometimes hunts between 1-2-3 resulting in a sudden downshift with a clunk or an up shift and surge. The readouts for the radio and temp controls are hard to read in sunlight.

Reliability. Gas mileage. Good back seat and trunk room. Split fold-down rear seat is also handy.

Fix the throttle-by-wire system. Make the seats, especially front, more comfortable. Fix the 5 speed trans' hunting problem. Use a different display for the radio and temp controls to make them more readable.

Good Car, Great Value
By MD Customer

2003 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. It is very reliable and has low cost maintenance. Great for a family or a single person. I purchased my car used and it was the best car purchase. I sold it at 93,000 miles but it is still a great car with a lot of life left. I also learned the resale value is great which was another bonus.

The best thing about the car was the gas mileage and the ride, especially on long trips. It is a great car.

2003 Camry SE
By mac0s9user

2003 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am a Toyota mechanic and this is the car I trained on . I saw how well it was built and all the redundant systems and had to buy one. Got mine last year and at 80,000 now am having no problems. Brakes are getting due but for me thats only like $200. Best value for the money. I am adding different aftermarket headlights for originality but other than that it's perfect!

3 spoke leather wrapped steering wheel and instrument cluster, stock rear spoiler ties in great. Great pin-striping and wheels as well.

An audio input jack and thats it!