Used 2003 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Extremely unhappy Camry owner
By Nancy on 03/22/06 20:18 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The transmission has slow response time and when slowing and gearing down the car actually lunges, the vehicle has long braking time and is very unresponsive until pedal is pressed nearly to floor and road handling and tire grip is poor. Steering wheel position is high and seats are not deep enough for comfortable ride. Lumbar on passenger seat is uncomfortable. Window and rear door posts make side viewing difficult because of width. Trunk and gas door latches are difficult to access when seat is forward for person of shorter stature. Cruise control lever and buttons are awkward and not user friendly. Center console height is too low for comfortable elbow rest during long drives.

Great Mileage! Great Car!
By Jim on 01/28/06 11:57 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. I drove it the first year in DC. I now live in Germany. It is rock-solid at autobahn speeds and quieter than the Audi 80. We drove to Paris last weekend and, not wanting to have to buy gas at French prices, we kept the speed at 63MPH (100 KPH). We got 34 miles per gallon! This is not the only time that I have confirmed the advertised MPG. Mine is a 5 speed w/ the 4cyl engine. The only complaint I have is the rear spoiler. It makes backing up difficult; can't see over the darn thing. If I had the choice I would have left the spoiler at the showroom. The only maintenance problem was an elec lock on one of the rear pass doors. Toyota dealer fixed it at no cost.

Best Car You'll Ever Own
By DP on 01/27/06 13:39 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I researched the Camry and similar models (Accord, etc) thoroughly before purchasing my XLE two years ago and have been extremely satisfied with my purchase. The car is stylish and extremely reliable, has retained excellent resale value and has many attractive features. It's an excellent value, although I probably wouldn't buy another car at any price point.

Camry still living up to its reputation
By Chris on 01/09/06 15:28 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Camry I have owned, having previously driven a 1992 model. The Camry is built incredibly well, gets 30 mpg on the highway, and is large enough to comofrtably seat 5 people. The large trunk is also nice, and the many extra, basic features makes it great to drive. I'd get the 6 cd changer, but thats my only complaint. That should tell you something.

Pleasant, comfortable & reliable
By Dick on 12/24/05 10:49 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got into the car at the dealership and it was the most comfortable of all the cars I was considering. Performance was fine and the car has been reliable requiring only regular maintainance except for a battery replacement. It has been a car that is easy to use in city and great on the road usually delivering 30-32 miles per gallon country and 17 -19 city.

Test Drive Carefully
By M.A. on 11/09/05 19:08 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The powertrain is lousy! When driving, there is a delay between when you push the accelerator and when the engine starts to rev. My girlfriend always thought I was crazy until she was driving it one day and pushed on the gas to pass someone and the car didn't accelerate for one to two seconds. It is also difficult to transition smoothly from slowing to a stop and accelerating without the car whipping your head back; this is not because of the awesome power; after the kick, there is not much left. I brought this car in to two different dealerships and also called Toyota to complain. They all say that the system is operating properly. I'd never buy another Toyota!

Disappointing
By Richmond on 10/04/05 15:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Disappointing car considering cost; transmission seems confused at times; poor dash layout; mediocre fuel economy; paint chips easily; overall, not much better than my 99 Camry.

Best Car I've Owned
By SterlingVT on 08/19/05 15:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Compared to my Neon, my new Camry is a luxury car. Excellent ride and fuel economy. Good acceleration. Not one worry about it breaking down on me. I'm confident that it will have many trouble free years with it. I'll never buy anything other than a Toyota from now on. (Looking forward to getting a Camry Hybrid in the future)

Toyota is the best
By Fardarter on 08/03/05 19:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

There was no need for me to purchase a car of this class. While I enjoy driving powerful, well-built, new cars, a smaller car, like the Corolla or a Honda Civic would have served me just fine. The Camry, however, not only has an elegant and attractive design. It holds the road magnificently. Having learned how to drive in Italy, I have chosen the manual 5-speed model, which turned out to be economically wise. Having full control of the gear shift, I make up to 38 miles with a gallon on the highway and never less than 30 in city driving. The engine is poweful and the vehicle has the right weight for its length and width. Its stability is enviable even on rainy roads.

Loose Drivers Seat
By gregory on 07/27/05 14:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The drivers seat design is poor. The seat "pops" while driving. I am told that this is a normal feature. It is very distracting to have the seat move when I start and stop. I've had anti- freeze leaks(4). The car's ride is poor-it has a tendency to roll while driving in a straight line.