2003 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Toyota's Buick
By kato on 11/03/09 10:33 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice, soft riding and soft handling car that is very reliable, very dull. Good space for family; seats are not as comfortable as they should be.

211000 miles and going strong
By steve on 10/27/08 09:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 211000 miles I am thinking of selling. AC compressor went out, at 140000, and timing belts at recommended intervals, other than that mechanically perfect except for the radio. It has never died anywhere, the V6 still runs as if it was new, though it has developed a front end rattle over bumps. The turning radius is amazingly good, and with the ABS it has saved me a few times in snow and wet weather. Gets about 25 mpg on the highway, which is tolerable with reg. gas. This is my 4th Camry V6, starting in 1986, and its the best of the lot, though the 93 is still going strong with my son in law at 275,000 miles. Why would I switch? To buy a new one, though this still looks great.

100K and still going.
By Tim Kloth on 08/13/08 13:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car because of its reliability reputation. We bought it new. We just turned 100K miles and have had no major problems. New battery at 3 yrs. New brakes and tires at about 86K miles. Thats it. We still get just over 30 mpg on the highway with one passenger, full trunk and A/C on. The front seats could be more comfortable and we really don't like the throttle-by-wire system. The excessive lag can be dangerous if you are not planning for it. Also, the five speed trans sometimes hunts between 1-2-3 resulting in a sudden downshift with a clunk or an up shift and surge. The readouts for the radio and temp controls are hard to read in sunlight.

Great alternative to an expensive option
By JohnieB on 04/27/08 13:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased this car back in 2006, I was looking at the Lexus ES300/ES330. I ran across my '03 XLE V6 with every option but nav and it included 4 addtional airbags! The V6 has decent power but the throttle response is my only real complaint. The throttle by wire system is severely lacking when it comes to reponding to my needs. If you can drive around the 2 second lag, you can plan to be a happy, comfortable owner. The interior is quiet and well designed. I thought it was quiet until I added new Micehlin Primacy tires and it is so quiet now that the loudest thing in the cabin is the V6 singing away under acceleration. I love my Camry, styling and comfort of an ES, sans $$$.

Excellent value for the money!
By JohnieB on 04/14/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 1.5 years and I love it. It is quiet, comfortable and very relaxing to drive in the urban, traffic snarl. I barely notice the other vehicles, even ones with sirens. I replaced the stock Michelins MXV4s with the new Michelin Primacy and the car is quieter than I ever imagined. These tires really seem to work with this car. The ride is supple, comfortable but you can tell what the wheels are doing. Mine is 2003.5 model which is the 3.0 VVt-i motor and 5 speed tranny and I love it!

Better than Avalon or Lexus
By Bob in Carolina on 09/28/06 09:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Even at 60,000 it still runs and looks great-no wear at all on leather interior. Get about 29 miles per gallon mixed city and highway. The V^ delivers what I want, when I want it without delays. When I think about trading, I get in it and end up asking myself "are you crazy?" I have looked at 2007 Lexus, Camry XLE and Avalon, but not any better in reality. Also, not nearly as well designed inside, especialy the dash and consoles. Super low cost to maintain-change oil & filter and go for the most part. Paint is in excellent condition. Seats are exceptionally comfortable and rides like a dream.

Better than the Lexus
By teacher on 04/20/06 15:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have a Lexus ES-300 and a Camry XLE- V6. The lexus is our second car: the camry is more fun to drive. Long story short-- we can buy whatever car we want and we chose the camry over everything for a daily driver. Now that the new Camry is out, I'm tempted to trade up, but ours is still great after three years. It's nice to know that when the time does come to sell it, it won't take me more than a few days to find a buyer.

Test Drive Carefully
By M.A. on 11/09/05 19:08 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The powertrain is lousy! When driving, there is a delay between when you push the accelerator and when the engine starts to rev. My girlfriend always thought I was crazy until she was driving it one day and pushed on the gas to pass someone and the car didn't accelerate for one to two seconds. It is also difficult to transition smoothly from slowing to a stop and accelerating without the car whipping your head back; this is not because of the awesome power; after the kick, there is not much left. I brought this car in to two different dealerships and also called Toyota to complain. They all say that the system is operating properly. I'd never buy another Toyota!

Disappointing
By Richmond on 10/04/05 15:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Disappointing car considering cost; transmission seems confused at times; poor dash layout; mediocre fuel economy; paint chips easily; overall, not much better than my 99 Camry.

Camry - Not as Good as Competition
By Prashant on 05/19/05 14:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my car for about 2 years. I don't like it whatsoever. The clock is positioned so poorly, that only the driver and passenger can see it (and that's if they are sitting upright). The car has poor pick up for a V6 with 190hp. The stereo and air conditioning are positioned too high for easy & comfortable access. The speakers and stereo overall are not as good. I would think that the company with, in my opinion the best luxury brand (Lexus), would provide a really classy car and luxurious. But I'm wrong. Too bad, cause I really like Toyota.