Used 2003 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Toyota's Buick
By kato

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice, soft riding and soft handling car that is very reliable, very dull. Good space for family; seats are not as comfortable as they should be.

Better front seats and tighter suspension; better gas mileage.

211000 miles and going strong
By steve

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 211000 miles I am thinking of selling. AC compressor went out, at 140000, and timing belts at recommended intervals, other than that mechanically perfect except for the radio. It has never died anywhere, the V6 still runs as if it was new, though it has developed a front end rattle over bumps. The turning radius is amazingly good, and with the ABS it has saved me a few times in snow and wet weather. Gets about 25 mpg on the highway, which is tolerable with reg. gas. This is my 4th Camry V6, starting in 1986, and its the best of the lot, though the 93 is still going strong with my son in law at 275,000 miles. Why would I switch? To buy a new one, though this still looks great.

Reliability, low cost to run, turning radius, 6 disc changer, heated seats.

Front end rattling, controls on steering wheel for radio/CD.

100K and still going.
By Tim Kloth

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car because of its reliability reputation. We bought it new. We just turned 100K miles and have had no major problems. New battery at 3 yrs. New brakes and tires at about 86K miles. Thats it. We still get just over 30 mpg on the highway with one passenger, full trunk and A/C on. The front seats could be more comfortable and we really don't like the throttle-by-wire system. The excessive lag can be dangerous if you are not planning for it. Also, the five speed trans sometimes hunts between 1-2-3 resulting in a sudden downshift with a clunk or an up shift and surge. The readouts for the radio and temp controls are hard to read in sunlight.

Reliability. Gas mileage. Good back seat and trunk room. Split fold-down rear seat is also handy.

Fix the throttle-by-wire system. Make the seats, especially front, more comfortable. Fix the 5 speed trans' hunting problem. Use a different display for the radio and temp controls to make them more readable.

Great alternative to an expensive option
By JohnieB

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased this car back in 2006, I was looking at the Lexus ES300/ES330. I ran across my '03 XLE V6 with every option but nav and it included 4 addtional airbags! The V6 has decent power but the throttle response is my only real complaint. The throttle by wire system is severely lacking when it comes to reponding to my needs. If you can drive around the 2 second lag, you can plan to be a happy, comfortable owner. The interior is quiet and well designed. I thought it was quiet until I added new Micehlin Primacy tires and it is so quiet now that the loudest thing in the cabin is the V6 singing away under acceleration. I love my Camry, styling and comfort of an ES, sans $$$.

Leather interior, awesome, quiet ride. Great 6 dics changer stereo, big backseat.

Get the Throttle by Wire system up to standards. V6 could use another 40 horsepower to be competitive.

Excellent value for the money!
By JohnieB

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 1.5 years and I love it. It is quiet, comfortable and very relaxing to drive in the urban, traffic snarl. I barely notice the other vehicles, even ones with sirens. I replaced the stock Michelins MXV4s with the new Michelin Primacy and the car is quieter than I ever imagined. These tires really seem to work with this car. The ride is supple, comfortable but you can tell what the wheels are doing. Mine is 2003.5 model which is the 3.0 VVt-i motor and 5 speed tranny and I love it!

V6, 6 disc changer, leather, 8 airbags.

Steering wheel radio controls, please!