Used 2003 Toyota Camry XLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

104K Still Going Strong
By flyingrc12

2003 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle new in 2003. Oil changes every 3k, brakes around 54k, all needed service completed. Water pump replaced, on my 3rd set of tires. Intermediate steering shaft needs replacement, not a safety issue just annoying knock sound. My a/c light blinks from time to time lately causing the a/c to not work. This appears to be a relay that needs replacement which is common. Other then what I would call minor issues with a vehicle with over 104k miles on it, it's treated me fantastic. Still getting 34 mpg highway 25 mpg around town. Engine sounds just like the day I bought it, amazing. Honestly, the car is just as sound today as the day I bought it! I would buy another in a sec.

Favorite Features

ride, comfort, gas mileage, ease of getting in and out of vehicle. reliability is fantastic over the years.

Suggested Improvements

maybe a little more durable paint, mine chipped kinda easy. A little less body lean when cornering, however this would take away from the soft comfortable ride I'm sure.

Rock Solid for 6 yrs
By m14708

2003 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought brand new and haven't regretted it. 105000 miles and just tires & brakes. Car still looks great and build quality is excellent. Would love to but a new car but don't want a note and really no reason to get rid of it. Still has lots of life left.

Favorite Features

Comfort, Reliability, looks.

Suggested Improvements

none

Had it with Toyota
By johnzorba

2003 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had several warranty repairs on this car. The motor for the Camry driver seat back went just after the warranty expired. I probably used it less than a dozen times. The electric driver's window can not be set to partial open. It's noisy. I keep thinking a window is open somewhat. Gas mileage is not what was listed. My A/C is intermittent and the dealer can't fix it until it is totally gone. If you drop something between the drivers seat and the console, good luck trying to get to it. Paint job needs improvement. I've always bought Toyoyas, but this may be my last.

Favorite Features

Nothing that stands out

Suggested Improvements

Extend the warranty

Good car, but overrated
By dsensing

2003 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is an incredibly well-built car that does most everything competently but nothing really well. Mine's a tricked-out XLE (4-cyl) with leather, roof, JBL system, heated seats, etc. I have nothing to complain at 60K miles, but can't really brag about it, either. Fact is, this car is dull as dishwater. The I-4 is a slug. The JBL sound system barely qualifies as "premium." I don't feel any connection to the road through the steering, which is over-assisted and much too light at all speeds. Build quality is outstanding, as is reliability. Good back seat room and seats are 7.5 on the 10 scale for comfort (our Volvo V70 is the 10). But the Camry is dull, dull, dull.

Favorite Features

Nothing favorite. Nothing stands out. I will say the leather has held up extremely well. I guess Toyota quality and reliability would be favorites.

Suggested Improvements

Man, build a car with some soul and that makes you want to drive it the next day! Also, fuel economy is not very good.

Bad experience, not what they were
By RyanMurphy

2003 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I expected a solid car that would get me around town. What I got is a car that barely gets me around town. The car is a clunker in all honesty. I have 51,000 miles and I've been to the repair shop quite a bit. My transmission went out. My intake manifold cracked and had to be replaced. I have been through 2 sets of brakes and my steering wheel is all over the road. My tires are new.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, but its not worth this.

Suggested Improvements

Quality.