2002 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: Ugly but beautiful

2002 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

LE Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Ugly but beautiful
By Mike on

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I always thought the 02 Camrys were ugly as sin, but I don't care about that when I buy cars anyway. In every other way this car is absolutely superb. I'm at 112k miles with no significant problems. Only major expense so far was timing belt swap but that was a maintenance item not a repair. With the 4 cylinder engine the pickup is acceptable and the mileage is extremely good considering it is a pretty decent sized car. I'm going to go to about 200k on this one and then buy another new Camry - I suppose I'm due around 2011 or so. Engine light just went on last week and the code says its the catalytic - that will be a little expensive but can't complain at this mileage.

Favorite Features

Quiet, comfortable, soft ride but without sloppy handling (Toyota really has a knack for that). Excellent interior ergonomics. Very good fuel mileage but engine is adequately powerful.

Suggested Improvements

Car is ugly, but the new ones are a little nicer so that's already fixed. If windows are cracked open a lot of water comes in when you drive in rain - enough to impair the reliability of the automatic locks and window controls. Cupholders were never much good and they broke after a while.