2002 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
I'm impressed
By sharon on 08/30/06 17:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used and have not been disappointed. Other than a very tiny leak in the AC, no problems. Checked out the competition prior to this purchase and Toyota won easily. More comfortable ride, better interior looks and quality, less in price. I couldn't get over the lack of engine noise! During the first few weeks of ownership I was never sure if the engine had turned over or not! Plenty of power for hills and passing. Very nice ride and good handling. Friends and family have commented on what a nice car it is. Average 24 mpg mixed. Only feature I do not care for is the one touch power window. After two years of trying, I still can't crack the window without several attempts.

Inexpensive japanese sedan
By SD Rider on 08/26/06 23:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Feels like I'm riding a luxury car. Stock audio system okay. Excellent gas mileage. I get about 27 mpg... very good for a sedan. Got the rare manual transmission. Effortless shifting. Had to buy V-rated performance tires. No problems with engine or electronics.

Love My Camry
By lervin on 08/17/06 08:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this New 2002 Camry in October, 2001, and have been pretty much delighted with it. Issues I've had include creaky steering wheel, door trim replaced (under warranty), 2 sets of tires, battery and water pump replacement. Still on the original brakes - have taken it in twice for new brakes and was told didn't need them. Right now am experiencing white smoke from the tailpipe at initial start, but don't consider that a problem (yet). I plan to drive this car until the wheels fall off!

Problems
By Patrick on 07/10/06 21:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought the used '02 Camry from a friend. In 500 miles, the catalytic converter went out, the A/C seems to be really week, I noticed the steering wheel squeaks (specifically on sharp turns), the rearview mirrors sags and it vibrates with the music on at any decent level, and the entire vehicle vibrates when coming to a stop. The dealership replaced rotors and pads and it is no better. The car is comfy and has good pickup, but so far I am very concerned about the quality, or lack thereof.

It's a keeper
By pat on 06/16/06 15:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our toyota camry was the first foreign? car to come into our household. it wont be the last. My husband is so impressed by the workmanship and reliability. The only negative was the tires that came on it new. They only lasted about 12,000 miles. Not enough for our sedate type of driving. We replaced them with michelins and have had no further problems.

GREAT CAR FOR MONEY
By RAJNEESHVASUDEV@SBCG on 06/04/06 14:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent gas mileage. Seems like goes forever with tank of gas. Feels like a luxury car with smooth and quieter ride. 4 cyl engine is very responsive and efficient. very reliable. i have 80k on it and still very smooth. no rattles.

Superb w/ minor flaws
By Nate1981 on 05/09/06 15:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car pre-owned with 36,000 miles on it. The car is loaded with every feature except fog lights and spoiler. The car glides over the road and is extremely quiet. This car is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. The V-6 is peppy, though not exciting. I average 27 MPG in mixed (mostly highway) driving. My only complaint is the transmission. In the first 2002 Camrys there is a flaw in the transmission that makes it stay in gear much longer than it should. It really makes the car awkward to drive, and the shifts are often harsh for the first 2-3 minutes of driving. After that, the tranny is smooth and responsive.

Owning my first toyota
By suzees on 04/30/06 21:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had my '02 Camry for 3 1/2 years. It was a great car -- the ride of it was my favorite. It did have issues with a creaky steering wheel; apparently an issue with most of the '02 camrys. It also developed a rattling noise in the dash on the passenger side. Other than that, it was a very fine, quality built car.

This Car is Almost Perfect
By andrew on 04/24/06 19:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has basically no faults. Except for the tiny click the windshield wipers make on the slowest this car is flawless. The JBL premium audio system and speakers are definitely a plus although the standard toyota speakers are still much better then other premium speakers. The engine is almost undetectable even at high speeds, it is also pretty powerful. I've even driven this car at 160 km/h and it still feels surefooted. The interior is beautiful especially with the woodgrain. Fuel economy could be better but what can you expect from a V6. The heated seats are a must have especially in the cold canadian winters. All in all a great car for just about everyone's needs.

Winner
By Montana on 04/20/06 19:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not sure what car some of the other reviewers are writing about, but our Camry has been a joy. One of the very few products we've purchased that we are as happy with 4 years later as we were on the day we bought it. We ordered it fully loaded, and everything works like new. The quietness, smoothness and plush ride always makes us feel like we are in a luxury car. It so good, we don't slow down for speed bumps. Long trips - 34 MPG at 85. Around town, 26 - 27. Plenty of power, shifting so smooth we are rarely aware of it. Pulls large hills at speed without complaint. Nice audio system, flawless sun roof, great cruiser. Much prefer our 2002 design to the funky 2007