Used 2002 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 338 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great Car for the money
By john r

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 6 years. I bought it with 24k miles. The only problems I have had are the transmission started to slip some and cause hesitation. I had the tranny flushed and this solved the problem. The paint is now peeling on the drivers front and rear quarter panel but I do not have a garage and it has gone through several storms. Overall a great car with no problems at 107K miles to date. I bought this car certified and I recommend that very highly.

interior room and finish. I have the beige interior and love it. the seats are very comfortable. I like the instrument panel and clock and temp reading.

better paint warranty.

Spacious and functional
By 808blue

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let's face it, the Camry is not a Ferrari. It's a reliable, functional sedan. I bought this car with 118k miles, now passing 122K and overall I'm happy. I can fit a 9 foot long board in the back with the seats down, and tote my 3 dogs around in it everywhere. It's pretty vanilla, I definitely don't turn any heads driving it, but 5 people can fit in there comfortably. I currently have a catalytic systems issue which has a check engine light on, and causes the car to lose some power. Otherwise it's very reliable.

huge trunk, fold down seats, power features

Cheap plastic parts could be improved. More power. Also scrapes the ground when fully loaded.

Toyota - Made in Georgetown KY
By CentralFloridaMan

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

"Salsa Red Pearl" 2002 Camry LE with the 2.4L (4 cylinder gasoline, first year that it came out with a timing chain, not a belt) and automatic transmission. I'm 6'1'' and the powered seat moves down to give me more head room, and back up and forward to give my 5'3'' daughter the ability to see and reach the pedals as she learns to drive. I had to replace the scissor jack since the one this used car came with looked bent too badly to trust (~$15 on ebay). So far, I average 28.5 mpg combined hwy/city on 87 octane gas (Melbourne, FL). About once a week gave the "blue smoke" for an instant out the tailpipe on startup last winter/spring, but I haven't noticed it this summer at all.

Dependability, efficiency, lots of room under the hood, excellent shifting characteristics, overall good looks.

For the car - not much. The seats could always be more comfortable, but I could always loose 30 pounds too.

Transmission problem
By rk

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I put up 245000 miles on my previous 1987 Toyota Camry. I did not have any problems, except for regular wear and tear. On my 2002 model, at 119000 miles, It has developed transmission problem. It takes long time to change to higher gear and jerks. If you accelerate, it makes noise and slips. Speedo meter does not work. It stays most of the time at zero and suddenly shows the speed and goes back to zero. I changed sensor, but no use. It needs all the engine mounts to be changed.

Good price. Was running smoothly. Spacious.

Transmission improvement.

02 Cmary LE
By Justin H

2002 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Before this I owned a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Unfortunately I was involved in an accident and had to sell it, I bought this car and I love it so far. I bought it with 99,000 miles on it. Its just about to turn over 104,000 and I love everything about it. It drives like its a brand new car. The only problem with it is there is an exhaust leak somewhere. Its fun to drive and reliable. I plan to drive it through my college career and possibly get a Tundra after that. Great car!!!

Sound system is stock and it is the best I have ever had. Has plenty of power. Seats are comfy and nice to ride in. Drives wonderfully.

Wish I had a sunroof and a spoiler.