Used 2002 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

i love my car
By bripmer

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i have put 34k miles on my car this year and i still love it. I really wish i bought the v6

Favorite Features

stereo is great

An almost perfect sedan
By John-Atlanta

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car with only a couple of minor flaws, most notably the unimpressive front seats. Definitly not as good as a Passat or Accord. The interior style is rather pedestrian especially when compared with the Passat. Having said that, I much prefer driving this car vs my Passat. It has a superbly refined transmission and engine, is very quiet and has a ride that makes you think you are in a luxury sedan. Much quieter than the Passat. Compared with my mom's BMW 528 the ride is as good on the highway but not as thrilling on two lane highways. But at less than half the price it is a much better value!!

Favorite Features

Quiet, serene ride.Very lexus like

Suggested Improvements

Better front seats, especially lateral support. A little more style to the interior. A hybrid version!!!

Excellent Car
By Gymswim

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall very pleased with my XLE V6. Especially glad I bought Navigation and upper side air bags. Forgot to have dealer exchange Bridgestone tires (which proved unsatisfactory) for Michelins. I replaced all 4 tires with Michelins at 12,000 miles after a blowout and repeated problems with hydroplaning at speeds above 50 mph.

Favorite Features

Naivgation system is great, well designed and I can't imagine buying a car without it. Compared to other Nav systems, like Honda's and Accura, this one is far better.

Suggested Improvements

Speedometer hard to read - poor location relative to steering wheel rim; calibration poor. They should copy Accords or Lexis. Miss a telescoping steering column. . An updated CD for Nav is available but Toyota wants us to buy it for $250.00! What's with that???

Buyer Beware
By DLC

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of the "performance tires". They are not all season or snow tires. The tires do not perform well when the roads are just wet. My first set of tires only lasted to 14,000 miles. Major thread wear down the center of all 4 tires.The tire mfg,Toyo,replaced all but 1 tire. I called Toyota in CA. who basically told me that no, the tires weren't designed for snow and ice conditions and if they had to replace every part they ever received a complaint about they would be out of business! Toyota's customer service motto should read, "Buyer Beware"

Favorite Features

The car handles nicely on dry surfaces. Interior is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Train sales staff to mention the "high performance tires". This is a safety hazzard that I feel should have been mentioned at the time of the sale. Off to the Honda dealer I go. Poor salesmanship!

8 time in the shop and still rattles
By Phoenix driver

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Camry expecting quality and reliability. I've had it 2 months and have had to take it for repairs 8 times. First the rear suspension made noises. That was fixed after two tries. Then the overhead light rattled. The handles on both front doors rattle. They added foam to both doors four times and it still makes noises. Now the radio has started rattling. There is a delay between prssing the accelerator and the car moving. Toyota says signal has to be processed by the central computer. However that is dangerous in an emergency situation. And the brakes are soft by design. You have to floor it. I'm selling this Toyota and never buying one again.

Favorite Features

Interior Space. Cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the fit and finish quality. Improve the response time to pressing the accelerator. Improve the soft brakes.