2002 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Great Car for the money
By john r on 01/13/10 07:28 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 6 years. I bought it with 24k miles. The only problems I have had are the transmission started to slip some and cause hesitation. I had the tranny flushed and this solved the problem. The paint is now peeling on the drivers front and rear quarter panel but I do not have a garage and it has gone through several storms. Overall a great car with no problems at 107K miles to date. I bought this car certified and I recommend that very highly.

Spacious and functional
By 808blue on 12/14/09 07:15 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let's face it, the Camry is not a Ferrari. It's a reliable, functional sedan. I bought this car with 118k miles, now passing 122K and overall I'm happy. I can fit a 9 foot long board in the back with the seats down, and tote my 3 dogs around in it everywhere. It's pretty vanilla, I definitely don't turn any heads driving it, but 5 people can fit in there comfortably. I currently have a catalytic systems issue which has a check engine light on, and causes the car to lose some power. Otherwise it's very reliable.

Toyota - Made in Georgetown KY
By CentralFloridaMan on 09/14/09 14:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

"Salsa Red Pearl" 2002 Camry LE with the 2.4L (4 cylinder gasoline, first year that it came out with a timing chain, not a belt) and automatic transmission. I'm 6'1'' and the powered seat moves down to give me more head room, and back up and forward to give my 5'3'' daughter the ability to see and reach the pedals as she learns to drive. I had to replace the scissor jack since the one this used car came with looked bent too badly to trust (~$15 on ebay). So far, I average 28.5 mpg combined hwy/city on 87 octane gas (Melbourne, FL). About once a week gave the "blue smoke" for an instant out the tailpipe on startup last winter/spring, but I haven't noticed it this summer at all.

Transmission problem
By rk on 09/09/09 07:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I put up 245000 miles on my previous 1987 Toyota Camry. I did not have any problems, except for regular wear and tear. On my 2002 model, at 119000 miles, It has developed transmission problem. It takes long time to change to higher gear and jerks. If you accelerate, it makes noise and slips. Speedo meter does not work. It stays most of the time at zero and suddenly shows the speed and goes back to zero. I changed sensor, but no use. It needs all the engine mounts to be changed.

02 Cmary LE
By Justin H on 08/17/09 14:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Before this I owned a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Unfortunately I was involved in an accident and had to sell it, I bought this car and I love it so far. I bought it with 99,000 miles on it. Its just about to turn over 104,000 and I love everything about it. It drives like its a brand new car. The only problem with it is there is an exhaust leak somewhere. Its fun to drive and reliable. I plan to drive it through my college career and possibly get a Tundra after that. Great car!!!

Most Trouble with Toyota
By Hank Q on 07/27/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This Toyota has given me the most problems of any Toyota I've ever owned. I've owned more than six Toyota products, including a Lexus ES300. The car has 112000 miles and I've had to replace the catalytic converter, two engine mounts, and now the transmission may have to be replaced because the gears are rotten. That's only the most recent issues that come to mind. Other Toyotas have had more than 220000 miles with only normal maintenance costs. What happened?

Great car
By Eric on 07/03/09 16:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought the car I wasn't too pleased with the styling. I wanted something sportier and faster but this was in my price range. Once I started driving it I fell in love with the car, it has quick get up with the vvti engine while also getting 30+ gas millage, everyone else who started driving my car really started liking it to. It was very reliable except near the end before I got in a car wreck my transmission was starting to skip a lot around 120k thousand miles, people look at me crazy when I say that about the Camry but looks like there's been more than just me with this problem so be careful with that I guess with this year. Other than that great car.

Dependable car
By carmom22 on 07/01/09 06:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is one of the best cars we have ever owned. LOVE the V6 interior very roomy. Like the seat control on drivers side. It allows my husband (who is 6 foot 5) fit in the car.

Great car
By SpazzE1 on 05/28/09 16:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

All and all, this is an excellent car. I get between 27 and 32 mpg with mine, it has a smooth ride, good pickup, great sound system and is extremely reliable. I already have over 150K on it and literally only put about $150 per year into repairs. This has got to be one of the best vehicles I have ever had. Very economical, attractive and comfortable. Love it!

A lot of Miles, still strong
By Tony on 02/21/09 17:06 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, I have over 256,000 miles on it and have had only one major problem to date, with a sensor. I now have a problem passing my states emissions bull, but other than that, its great. Sure, it's not a burner with the 4 cylinder engine, but I'm not expecting that. I'm most concerned about staying out of the garage, and I have. I put 40+ per year on a car, and I would greatly recommend this one.