2002 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
old reliable
By jl on 04/25/10 15:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car on sale when the 2003 models came out. Repairs have been slighlty more than I expected but I think it is because the dealer has pumped up service sales. With 100,000 miles the car still handles very well and is very quiet. Brakes seem to wear out more quickly than my last Camry and the AC has broken down twice with leaks but otherwise a great car.

Nothing but trouble
By Vic on 10/14/08 13:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new in 2002. Has about 103000 miles now. Worst car I have ever owned. Had to have rotors replaced under warranty because of warping and have had them turned several times also. Have already gone through three batteries in less than seven years. The car recently started to run rough at around 40 mph. Dealers initial diagnosis was there is no code so no problem. Second visit for same problem and the diagnosis was a bent right front axle. On the third visit for the same problem the diagnosis is now the transmission O/D. To top it all off the radio is junk, and when you unlock the doors with the keyfob they stay unlocked for about 15 seconds and lock back up.

2002 Camry XLE
By Dave Bemis on 02/28/07 09:35 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent ride; 23 MPG consistently; very reliable; no repairs or issues over 6 years; 120k miles with the expectation that my kids can get another 100k.

I'm impressed
By sharon on 08/30/06 17:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used and have not been disappointed. Other than a very tiny leak in the AC, no problems. Checked out the competition prior to this purchase and Toyota won easily. More comfortable ride, better interior looks and quality, less in price. I couldn't get over the lack of engine noise! During the first few weeks of ownership I was never sure if the engine had turned over or not! Plenty of power for hills and passing. Very nice ride and good handling. Friends and family have commented on what a nice car it is. Average 24 mpg mixed. Only feature I do not care for is the one touch power window. After two years of trying, I still can't crack the window without several attempts.

Superb w/ minor flaws
By Nate1981 on 05/09/06 15:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car pre-owned with 36,000 miles on it. The car is loaded with every feature except fog lights and spoiler. The car glides over the road and is extremely quiet. This car is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. The V-6 is peppy, though not exciting. I average 27 MPG in mixed (mostly highway) driving. My only complaint is the transmission. In the first 2002 Camrys there is a flaw in the transmission that makes it stay in gear much longer than it should. It really makes the car awkward to drive, and the shifts are often harsh for the first 2-3 minutes of driving. After that, the tranny is smooth and responsive.

This Car is Almost Perfect
By andrew on 04/24/06 19:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has basically no faults. Except for the tiny click the windshield wipers make on the slowest this car is flawless. The JBL premium audio system and speakers are definitely a plus although the standard toyota speakers are still much better then other premium speakers. The engine is almost undetectable even at high speeds, it is also pretty powerful. I've even driven this car at 160 km/h and it still feels surefooted. The interior is beautiful especially with the woodgrain. Fuel economy could be better but what can you expect from a V6. The heated seats are a must have especially in the cold canadian winters. All in all a great car for just about everyone's needs.

Long Term Love Affair
By joeshed on 08/16/05 12:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car surpasses all competitors when one considers quality, features, comfort, design, room, performance, reliability, and value. Yes it costs more initially, but Toyotas hold their resale value, so focus on total ownership cost. Those who scoff at the Camry as an "appliance" generally are trying to defend their choice of less reliable, less cost-effective car purchases, because this car is luxurious, user-friendly, and a delight to drive, without the schmaltz. The car is quiet, tight, and smooth, handles predictably well, and has a smooth power curve. In 65K miles its total repairs were 2 new sets of brakes, a new battery, 4 new BF Goodrich Traction TA tires, and a steering gear lube.

not what they used to be
By ryanfres on 02/06/05 16:48 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Toyota along with honda are not what they used to be. They are made in the usa and are not built as they were 10- 20 years ago. I own a 2003 honda accord with many unexceptable problems such as head gasket failure and electrical problems. My 2002 Camry is in the shop as we speak for a new transmission, and have already replaced a power window motor at just over 38000 and i am a conservative driver. My chevrolet avalanche has 42000 and has never seen a repair shop. dont let a 20-30 yr old reputation fool you please. American cars have stepped up to the task of quality.

Surpasses Expectations
By pierrelonesome on 12/09/04 17:40 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After ignition, while engine running it can't be heard (scary!). While driving encountered smooth ride. Accleration was right there (when needing it) passing those Mac trucks on the NJTPke! Encountered no noise. My height is 6'1'' I have no problem with headroom, (legroom just a little tight). The body paint is superior! I'm in love with this automobile. It gets you to your destination smoothly, safely and quickly!

Sorry I Bought a Camry
By Unhappy One on 11/17/04 23:00 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After doing much research on "the best selling car" I bought the Camry V6 XLE, loaded. I'm sorry to say that I've had nothing but break problems. I'm on my 3rd set of rotors Toyota keeps telling me it's MY DRIVING and that no one else has these reoccurring problems. But, after reading some of these reviews its obvious Toyota has lots of disappointed customers. They put cheap tires Toyota put on their $30 car. I'm ready to trade this car in for the Nissan Altima - the reviews for that car are wonderful. And the Altima has much better styling. If you want a car you'll feel safe in (besides all the air bags) I would NOT recommend this car.

1 2 3 4 5 next »