2002 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
2002 Toyota Camry XLE (2.4L)
By AA on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used in 2004 with 45K. The vehicle has 160K and running great. The only repair was the tranny at 98K but covered under 100K warranty, that was close, repair would have been $4,000 at dealer. The cat converter went out at 110K, warranty expired. That was 2 years ago, no problem since. Brakes have been replaced. Good comfortable vehicle. Everyone that drives my vehicle always comment on how smooth it drives.

Transmission problem
By rk on 09/09/09 07:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I put up 245000 miles on my previous 1987 Toyota Camry. I did not have any problems, except for regular wear and tear. On my 2002 model, at 119000 miles, It has developed transmission problem. It takes long time to change to higher gear and jerks. If you accelerate, it makes noise and slips. Speedo meter does not work. It stays most of the time at zero and suddenly shows the speed and goes back to zero. I changed sensor, but no use. It needs all the engine mounts to be changed.

Most Trouble with Toyota
By Hank Q on 07/27/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This Toyota has given me the most problems of any Toyota I've ever owned. I've owned more than six Toyota products, including a Lexus ES300. The car has 112000 miles and I've had to replace the catalytic converter, two engine mounts, and now the transmission may have to be replaced because the gears are rotten. That's only the most recent issues that come to mind. Other Toyotas have had more than 220000 miles with only normal maintenance costs. What happened?

Great Car for the Price
By Daniel on 06/25/08 10:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned this car since 03. Bought it as an off lease car w/24K miles. Now has 72K miles and have never been to the shop. I maintain the car myself and find it very easy to service. We drive the car normally and get 28-30 MPG city and have seen almost 40 MPG with the cruise set to 70-75 mph. Not very inspiring to drive, but what a great car for the everyday commute and plenty of room. Paint is starting to peel on rear quarter pannel, but it's now 6 years old and stays outside. Installed aftermarket 17" rims w/performance tires and instantly felt like a different auto!! Overall I am a Toyota customer for good.

6 yrs old and flawless
By Graco Guy on 04/07/08 17:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this new in 2002 and it has been fine. Not a high performance vehicle with the 4cyl, but great road car and commuter. Have had not one single problem in 68,000 miles. Get about 32 mpg on the highway, and close to that on my commute mix. Very solid car, but not exciting to drive for me. I'm thinking Acura TSX or RL next time.

Luv It
By Cornhusker on 01/20/07 09:59 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it new. Used for lots of middle distance driving (100-200 miles). Best car I've seen when considering comfort, mileage, and overall driving experience.

Winner
By Montana on 04/20/06 19:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not sure what car some of the other reviewers are writing about, but our Camry has been a joy. One of the very few products we've purchased that we are as happy with 4 years later as we were on the day we bought it. We ordered it fully loaded, and everything works like new. The quietness, smoothness and plush ride always makes us feel like we are in a luxury car. It so good, we don't slow down for speed bumps. Long trips - 34 MPG at 85. Around town, 26 - 27. Plenty of power, shifting so smooth we are rarely aware of it. Pulls large hills at speed without complaint. Nice audio system, flawless sun roof, great cruiser. Much prefer our 2002 design to the funky 2007

Camry
By Al on 01/04/06 22:18 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is our 3rd Toyota and this one will be the last one. We are very disappointed about the Toyota company. This car run well and smooth, but I think that the quality reputation of Toyota is over evaluated (specialy for the price of the supposed quality). After 58000Km the left rear brake pads were fully used but the right ones were half used (normal!? according the dealer, went elsewere for the repair of course) One security problem is the liquid washer nozzles are not adjustables and spray the liquid only at the bottom of the windshield, and specialy during the winter time that is very dangerous when you can't see in front of you (dealer replace them, no improvement) Motor oil consuption

camry rating
By rcfuccillo on 05/11/05 18:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Visibility to rear not so good. Reflections on rear windshield interferes with visibility especially at night. Accleration is just adequate, could be better.

Camry Disappointment
By Roger McKenzie on 01/26/05 09:54 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Camry. All others have been great cars. This one is one of the worst cars I have ever owned! Engine cut-off problems, transmission problems (replaced), bad front-end alignment, suspension rattles, loose sunroof components, fender-well liners loose, numerous interior & exterior trim pieces warped-loose-falling off, defective seat tracks----and the list goes on and on!!! Toyota's Arbitrator ruled against replacement. This car is certainly not representative of Toyota's claim for quality control!! The dealer service personnel try valiantly to fix things as they "pop- up" but they can't rebuild the car! It is so unreliable we are hesitant to take it on out of town trips.