Used 2002 Toyota Camry SE Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

186k Miles, 5spd Tranny the best!! Great Car!
By Jose

2002 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

First Owner Japan Built, I have owned this Camry since new, people talk about headbolts problems and lot of negative comments..well, my car has been different, My Camry has been the most reliable of my cars, I owed a Benz S430, a suburban, a Honda accord, and this the only car that never has given me any major issues..the most I've done to it was the starter, main serpentine belt, cleaned the MAF sensor and Brakes..and an oil change every 3k and fuel additive every oil change works..at this mileage I do have to use an Oil additive, I notice some smog in the mornings..but using thicker oil has fixed the issue..I recommend this car with manual Transmission since is the one I drive..I don't know about automatic Tanny experiences..

Lemon Engine
By Mike

2002 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Got my 02 camry 2.4L on Aug 2013 from a bay area dealer, it did have 36K miles on it. I barely used it, it was my backup/weekend car and for 2 yrs I have the car, I've only put in 18K on it. I had the water pump replaced on Feb 2015 by a Toyota tech that does outside job and I did replace the serpentine belt on Dec 2014. Decide to use this car to work one day and noticed my temperature gauge start hitting hot, park my car to safe area and check my coolant reservoir, it was empty. I remember checking it 2 days ago, it was full. As I remove my radiator cap, there was no coolant in the radiator, put water in it since I did not have any coolant with me and decide to take it to one of the mechanic I go to, it was close by to the area where I was at. I did check my oil and it was still fine, did not see any water oil mixture. As I've mention the issue to the mechanic, he already knew the problem with this models. Strip head bolt and coolant is going through it or either leak back, recommended engine replacement. Took my car home and used my daily driver car, 92 camry with 279K (original engine). Same day, I've contact the Toyota tech mechanic, he had mentioned to me that this has been an issue with this car's but usually it's about 130K. I was aware of this issue a yr after I bought the car, google engine performance, I was hoping it would last me up to 130K. I would stay away from 2.4L Toyota engine from 2002-2010, bad engine engineering, either a strip head bold or piston ring issues, coming from the Toyota tech mechanic. I will have to replace my motor since I don't want another car payment, hoping it will last me at least 4-5 yrs just to get my money back. It will cost me about 4K with the Toyota tech doing the work.
'

Great car
By Eric

2002 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought the car I wasn't too pleased with the styling. I wanted something sportier and faster but this was in my price range. Once I started driving it I fell in love with the car, it has quick get up with the vvti engine while also getting 30+ gas millage, everyone else who started driving my car really started liking it to. It was very reliable except near the end before I got in a car wreck my transmission was starting to skip a lot around 120k thousand miles, people look at me crazy when I say that about the Camry but looks like there's been more than just me with this problem so be careful with that I guess with this year. Other than that great car.

Comfort, gas mileage, get up, sound system was my absolute favorite the stock is better than the upgraded jbl and kills my maxima's bose.

None except better transmission.

95,000 Miles & Still Running
By 3camrys

2002 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've purchased all my Camrys used. This one was three years old when I purchased it with 34,000 miles. I'm almost at 95,000 miles and I've had no problems at all! Always go with the Certified Used Vehicles with a good warranty because you never know if the previous owner took good care of it or not. If you're looking for a reliable, comfortable, economic car, go for a Camry.

Sporty look. Of all the Camrys old & new, this model is my favorite.

None.

Toyota, not that great
By eR1c

2002 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Our Toyota Camry SE (4cylinder) has 85,000 miles on it currently. Here's what I've had to replace over the past 5 years of ownership: 1) air conditioning condensation liquid leaked into interior cabin of car -about a 1/4 gallon of water leaked after each drive resulting in damaged carpets and sound deadening material. 2) Original tires wore out in 6,000 miles!!!! 3) Rear wheel bearings replaced 2x. 4) Reset engine light ($90) because gas cap was left off car one time after fill up.

Don't have the air conditioning condensation tube go anywhere near the interior of the car. My Jeep has all of this AC stuff in the engine compartment where it should be.