Used 2002 Toyota Camry LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

What I Expected
By vsatking

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car today from the 3rd owner. It was well cared for and it shows. My Camry has a 5 speed. The shift throw is not as tight as a Passat but it does a good job. I bought this car over anything i test drove. Really a good car. This is my second Camry and only the second car I have been totally happy with.

Favorite Features

Simple instrument layout, very comfortable drivers seat for a base model, no major issues after 165,000 miles, paint in good condition, I fit at 6'4", quiet ride, better than other cars in class. Able to pay cash without batting an eye for a good car.

Suggested Improvements

Ability to tilt head rest forward.

Toyota - Made in Georgetown KY
By CentralFloridaMan

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

"Salsa Red Pearl" 2002 Camry LE with the 2.4L (4 cylinder gasoline, first year that it came out with a timing chain, not a belt) and automatic transmission. I'm 6'1'' and the powered seat moves down to give me more head room, and back up and forward to give my 5'3'' daughter the ability to see and reach the pedals as she learns to drive. I had to replace the scissor jack since the one this used car came with looked bent too badly to trust (~$15 on ebay). So far, I average 28.5 mpg combined hwy/city on 87 octane gas (Melbourne, FL). About once a week gave the "blue smoke" for an instant out the tailpipe on startup last winter/spring, but I haven't noticed it this summer at all.

Favorite Features

Dependability, efficiency, lots of room under the hood, excellent shifting characteristics, overall good looks.

Suggested Improvements

For the car - not much. The seats could always be more comfortable, but I could always loose 30 pounds too.

Great car
By SpazzE1

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

All and all, this is an excellent car. I get between 27 and 32 mpg with mine, it has a smooth ride, good pickup, great sound system and is extremely reliable. I already have over 150K on it and literally only put about $150 per year into repairs. This has got to be one of the best vehicles I have ever had. Very economical, attractive and comfortable. Love it!

Favorite Features

very comfortable for long drives

Suggested Improvements

it sounds like a tin can, insulation is very poor

A lot of Miles, still strong
By Tony

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, I have over 256,000 miles on it and have had only one major problem to date, with a sensor. I now have a problem passing my states emissions bull, but other than that, its great. Sure, it's not a burner with the 4 cylinder engine, but I'm not expecting that. I'm most concerned about staying out of the garage, and I have. I put 40+ per year on a car, and I would greatly recommend this one.

Favorite Features

Reliability!!

Suggested Improvements

Improve emissions.

Worst Purchase Ever
By John

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used at the time it had around 60,000 miles. The reason for this purchase is because the great talk about them, I found out different. At about 85,000 miles the dealer put in a new transmission, because I was having slipping problems. Round 95,000 the dealer put a new lower end in my motor. The check engine light comes on and off at random, the suspension is rough, gets around terrible in any wet (rain, snow) conditions, it has terrible fuel economy (hwy miles) I am lucky to get anything over 25 miles to the gallon. All I can say is thank goodness the transmission and engine were covered since it was a Toyota Certified purchase.

Favorite Features

Size of the vehicle is great!!

Suggested Improvements

Exhaust system hangs down making clearance while driving even lower.