Used 2001 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Most Helpful|
Most Reliable Car Ever Built
By Steve

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Having purchased five Hondas, and as good as Hondas are, I must say that I certainly don't feel that the Camry gives up anything in the way of handling to my 2004 Accord Coupe, but I have gained a much smoother and quieter Lexus-like ride. This car is just so easy to drive and the ergonomics are tops. Best car for the money in my opinion. I should also mention that since I've owned the Camry (April 2001), I have not had one single problem. Put the superb Nokian all season tires on this car and the Camry sticks to the ground like glue in rain or snow. The 2001 four cylinder feels somewhat underpowered around town (especially after driving the 6-cylinder 2004 Accord Coupe with 245hp), but once you get moving, especially on the highway, the refinement of the engine really shows. 90 miles per hour on the highway and this engine is as smooth as silk.

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort, build quality, reliability, great ergonomics everything is right where you would expect it.

Very nice at 100K+
By Derrick

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with around 60,000 miles on it. I'm now at just over 110,000 and not having any problems with it at all. I got fog lamps placed on it as well as aftermarket cruise control. I have a 5-speed manual and it responds great. It only has a 4 cylinder in it so in any race I end up losing but it handles very nicely on the highway for 16 hour drives and doesn't cost much in maintenance except for a few things that that have needed to be replaced, but doesn't seem bad at 110,000 and still runs clean and smooth. I wish it would hurry up and break down so I could justify going to get a Tacoma truck now.

Favorite Features

I'm tall and fit in it nicely (at 6'6"). Handles great on the highway, also nice in stop and go traffic

AWESOME CAR!
By esueo

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love, love, love this car! It's my first car that I just bought last October for a great price of $3000. It has over 200,000 miles on it and is still going strong! It is so smooth to drive, I feel like I'm just gliding down the road. I was looking dot something reliable, small, and good gas mileage, I got it all with my Camry! My dad has driven it across the state of Kentucky multiple times without a problem. I don't ever want to get rid of this car. I didn't want something that looked too "old lady like", which this car is not. It's stylish enough for me and very comfortable to go long distances in. I would trust it to take me anywhere.

Favorite Features

Stereo system, electric seats and windows, has CD player and cassette player, small but lots of room in the front and back seats, big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Has been in the family since 2001
By sohmdg

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

First off, this car is a steal. The amount a person saves in gas, maintenance and upkeep for this car is through the roof. Anyone who is on a budget will be pleased to know that the Camry saves ALOT of money in the long run. Parts, labor are relatively cheap compared to other cars. So, I recently got my license a few months back and this is the car I got. It has been with us since I was 3, so since 2001 and I am really happy to drive it. There has been only one major repair done, the sunroof, but other than that the car has lasted like a tank through rain, snow, cold, heat. I get about 28-30mpg which is great for a 14 year old car. It is also comfortable and easy to drive. Would recommend.

Favorite Features

My LE model comes with leather interior, power window/lock, sunroof, power driver seat, JBL 8 speaker audio.

Suggested Improvements

Overall the car is built well. I have no complaints on the build of the car as with any car, as it ages, things tend to lose their durability. Inside, the upholders for the back seat can break fairly easily, the lights in the console can go out, the lights in the driver side dash can go out. I have had to replace bulbs multiple times. Also, the factory paint is not the best, so expect to be doing some detailing couple of years down the line.

Almost 200,000 Miles and still running
By Ray

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car as rebuilt with 450 miles on odometer. Rear had repaired damage and the engine compartment clean. Changed Oil & Filter every 3000 with Castrol 10-30W. AUTO Transmission fluid changed every 22-25K miles. Bosch 4+4 plugs every 20K Miles. Air FILTER element every 20K miles. Radiator flush every 2 years and new fluid. At 199,400 miles changed out catalytic converter and two sensors. Timing belt and water pump changed only twice at 98K miles intervals. MPG around 25 city 29 hwy on regular gas. ride is average and does not handle well in snow or ice unless you have Bridgestone Blizzards tires or equivalent. Only problem is brake rotors tend to warp on hard braking. r