2001 Toyota Camry CE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2001 Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Sort Reviews by

Treynas Review
By Treyna

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Our Second Camry, quiet ride. reliable. full size spare, good for daily driving. Seats somewhat uncomfortable on very long drives. Average to good gas mileage, gas tank good be a bit bigger.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Less fragile plastic parts in interior that can break easily

Plain looking but a great performer!
By toshiko

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Plain Jane to look at but what a comfortable, smooth riding sedan! This is my second consecutive V6XLE (both are manufactured in Japan). On both cars, I never had to REPAIR anything yet. Always dependable in a extreme cold of NJ and heat of FL. If the performance and dependability are important to you, I recommend this model highly.

Favorite Features

JBL audio system, moon roof, two drink holders, and a large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

A little more sporty look will be great.

Fun
By paokgrl

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Most people don't think of a Camry as a fun car to drive, the majority of people think of it as a family car. I'm a college student and I absolutely love driving my Camry, it is roomy for someone being 6 foot both in the front and back, it fits everything that I need, it is also a good car for being a designated driver cause it holds a lot of people with still having good visibility and handling. Overall it is a good car, with exceptional features.

Easy to live with.
By rplmer

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is nearly the perfect car. It is quiet, smooth, well built and inexpensive to drive. It's only draw back is it isn't fancy. Not much for little convience things like the temperature gage you have to push a button and see either the time or temperature. What would it cost to have a seperate display, 50 cents or so. If you want a car that will run and run and be nice to drive without a lot of expense you will be hard pressed to do better than this.

Favorite Features

Roomy, quiet and smooth

Reliable/Efficient Camry
By vic36dki

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have 27,400 miles without a problem. The dealer is excellent for maintainance.I drove Detroit to Asheville,N.C.last summer and averaged 36 MPG. I was pleasantly surprised. It is my first non big 3 new car. It has made a believer out of me.

Favorite Features

I leave the lights on by mistake often. They shut off automatically and turn back on when I start the car.This is without a special lighting package.

Suggested Improvements

I would prefer 55/45 seats without a console but with a column shift.

Reliable under any conditions
By woodsj

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Camry when our other car died at 60,000 miles. We were looking for a comfortable car, with some nice bells and whistles, that we could drive happily for 100,000 miles or more. The Camry has the performance we look for on the highway, in the snow, rain, and everywhere.

Favorite Features

Traction Control, Auto dimming mirror, V6, Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had a keyless trunk release and that we could have gotten heated seats. The trunk release is really annoying. The check engine light seems to be a little too sensitive to the gas gap.

You can't go wrong!!
By Runner 3604

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been flawless in its function and design. It has run great since day one. The only services performed to date are an alignment, the 30K service and routine LOF and tire rotation. The dealer has been excellent both in the buying process and service. I hope to have this car into the 100k range. I believe that the secret to keeping these cars in top shape is to follow the service guides faithfully.

Favorite Features

The ride, overall economy and standard features.

Suggested Improvements

The inline 4 engine is somewhat underpowered but the newer 2000+ versions have fixed that. It is not a concern under normal driving conditions.

An Awesome Car To Own!
By mauratierneyfan

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had a 2001 Toyota Camry LE V6 since December 2000 and have never had one problem with it. It rides like a dream and you can barely hear the engine when you are driving or when stopped and idling. It is a great car for anyone and would recommend it highly to everyone to check one out before buying any other make or model.

Favorite Features

It has fabulous pick-up and drives like you are on a cloud. I've also had the car for almost 3 years now and have never had one single problem with it.

Suggested Improvements

The fuel it consumes is a little bit much, but that is most likely due to its larger engine (6 cylinder).

Camry
By fw

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second camry. The first was a 1991 Camry which I traded in to get my 2001 Camry. We are a Toyota family and I love my 2001 Camry. It seem like the 2001 Camry rides a bit smoother, with a faster pickup. The sound coming from my stereo is awesome.

Favorite Features

The stereo. The bass works with the speakers.

Suggested Improvements

The brake squeaks in reverse and the dealership says this is normal. I cannot get use to this, because I was told that a squeaky brakes means you have a problem with your brakes. I think they need to fix this anomaly.

be care of the oil consumption
By leon_lz

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

the camrys from 97-2002 had a design flaw, which you have to change oil more frequent than the manual said. the manual recommends you to change oil between 5k-7.5k, no way you can wait for that long. because the camry was running at higher temp to reach good fuel economy, therefore, the oil can loose its lubrication ability faster, so i would say, change it at 2.5k, or you will have a problem called oil gelling. search google.com by toyota oil gelling as key word, you will know what is going on. Overall, it is a good vehecle. but not the model between 97-02. you have to change oil more often.

Favorite Features

space and soft suspension

Suggested Improvements

they change the engine design from 2003