Used 2001 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Has been in the family since 2001
By sohmdg

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

First off, this car is a steal. The amount a person saves in gas, maintenance and upkeep for this car is through the roof. Anyone who is on a budget will be pleased to know that the Camry saves ALOT of money in the long run. Parts, labor are relatively cheap compared to other cars. So, I recently got my license a few months back and this is the car I got. It has been with us since I was 3, so since 2001 and I am really happy to drive it. There has been only one major repair done, the sunroof, but other than that the car has lasted like a tank through rain, snow, cold, heat. I get about 28-30mpg which is great for a 14 year old car. It is also comfortable and easy to drive. Would recommend.

Favorite Features

My LE model comes with leather interior, power window/lock, sunroof, power driver seat, JBL 8 speaker audio.

Suggested Improvements

Overall the car is built well. I have no complaints on the build of the car as with any car, as it ages, things tend to lose their durability. Inside, the upholders for the back seat can break fairly easily, the lights in the console can go out, the lights in the driver side dash can go out. I have had to replace bulbs multiple times. Also, the factory paint is not the best, so expect to be doing some detailing couple of years down the line.

What more could I ask for?
By ebeaudoin

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My mother-in-law bought this car as a dealer demonstrator back in 2001. My wife bought it from her in 2009 and I've been driving it since 2010. This car is my daily commuter now with just over 120,000 miles on it. It's quiet, smooth ride, comfortable interior and spartan yet efficient control layout is just lovely. Sure, it's no sports car, but there's something to be said about a car like this. The gas mileage is decent- I'm averaging 24.4 MPG, with 31.9 MPG being my best tank of all-highway miles.

Favorite Features

Very good sound system, sunroof, alloy wheels, power driver seat. I really like the HUGE glasshouse that this older car provides. Big windows make for a very open-feeling interior.

Suggested Improvements

None

AWESOME CAR!
By esueo

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love, love, love this car! It's my first car that I just bought last October for a great price of $3000. It has over 200,000 miles on it and is still going strong! It is so smooth to drive, I feel like I'm just gliding down the road. I was looking dot something reliable, small, and good gas mileage, I got it all with my Camry! My dad has driven it across the state of Kentucky multiple times without a problem. I don't ever want to get rid of this car. I didn't want something that looked too "old lady like", which this car is not. It's stylish enough for me and very comfortable to go long distances in. I would trust it to take me anywhere.

Favorite Features

Stereo system, electric seats and windows, has CD player and cassette player, small but lots of room in the front and back seats, big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Does everything with poise
By bruns

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been as reliable as everyone says Toyotas are. Now at 214,000 miles. Maintenance includes: 5k mile oil changes. A tranny flush and timing belt change every 80k or so. The only items I've had to replace other than maintenance was the interior clock (replaced for free by toyota) and the inner tie rods up front. Very solid and high quality.

Favorite Features

-Fully automatic headlights (w/ DRL's) -Power seat -V6 high speed drivability -Pulls through snow like a small truck -Almost silent wind noise -Cheap tire replacement options -Relaxing ride (drive across the country) -Excellent visibility -Anti-Lockout front doors -Extendable sun visors with vanity mirrors

Suggested Improvements

None of these are terrible qualities but are areas it doesn't excel. -Seats aren't cushy or overly supportive. -Driving position in relation to the steering wheel can take a while to become accustom too. (Steering wheel doesn't tilt far enough down) -Auto headlights are confusing. Off position only reverts full intensity headlights to DRL's during day. Does nothing at night regardless of position. Have to turn car off and pull up ebrake to have all lights off when you turn car back on. -Performance varies on octane. (Manual says 87 is fine but to use 91 for improved performance) -Headlights are dim. Even after aimed, cleaned and bulbs replaced. -No keyless entry standard

At 180,000 miles, still a Fantastic Car
By tommysmooth

2001 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My Dad bought it in 2003 from a dealership where it was a rental, about 4 years ago he bought a 2009 Camry and let me have the 01 for my first car. I've been driving it daily since I was 16 and have never had a bad day with it. It's quiet, responsive, and when you want power from the engine it will give it to you. It's easy to fix things yourself on, such as oil changes, brakes, even opening up the intake and cleaning the butterfly valve was pretty simple. The Stereo is amazing quality and similar to what you'd find in some luxury cars today. This car has good handling in the snow especially in 2nd gear. Overall it's a perfect first car, or perfect budget car. I've grown to love it

Favorite Features

Ground Clearance, Engine Reliability, Sound System, Interior Space, Gas Mileage, Solid Frame, Really smooth ride quality, minimal mechanical problems throughout lifetime (Doesn't hurt your wallet)

Suggested Improvements

Catalytic Converter needed replacing 7 times, Butterfly Intake Valve became gunked up after 150,000 miles (Made gas pedal stick), Some dash electronics beginning to die (Tail Light Sensor/Vent Blower speed control knob), Front wheels become misaligned easily from potholes, Lug bolts made poorly, broke one when changing flat (DIY replacement not too hard) Front Seats can be uncomfortable sometimes and cause hips or back to be sore.