2000 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: Family hauler for 13 years, st

2000 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

CE Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Family hauler for 13 years, still going strong
By bond_fanatic18 on

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

My parents' third Camry and our family hauler for 12 years until my dad bought a Honda CR-V last July. Our Camry has been all over Eastern North America including the Maritimes (PEI, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia). I learned how to drive on this car and my mother drove it to work for several years. Never any problems, except a small rattle that started 2 years ago, goes away when the engine warms up. This thing is a tank! It has 144K (about 89,000 American miles I think) and still has tons of life left in it, barely any rust. I drove it to high school and as a high school (university now) student I love it, fantastic first car, will last forever, is a beast in the snow, and reliable as hell.

It rides great for a stick shift, the Dolby sound system is AWESOME!!!! It's given us 13 years of loyal, trouble-free service and will last through the harshest winters, always starting even at 40 below. The older Camrys are the best, we tried the new one and like ours better, makes a fantastic family car, very comfortable, we tried the 2000 Accord and found the ride choppier at the time.

We can't figure out what caused the rattle in the engine. It goes away when the engine warms up but it's weird. The best mechanic in the city doesn't even know what it is. It hasn't caused any major problems, just confuses us. Apart from that, no other issues, except headroom for taller people especially in the back isn't great, I'm 6'4 and can't fully sit up straight in it.