Used 2000 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

So far so good
By Greaseman

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I've only had this car about a year and a half. So far this car has been great. Only have had one problem which was that I needed to replace the starter at 106,000 miles. The dealer wanted $307 for a new starter. I found a new Bosch starter for $125. I love the V6 engine. It's very quiet and smooth and is a very good highway cruiser. The premium sound system is top notch. My mechanic told me I made a good choice and in his opinion the Camry is one of the best cars built today for the money. Gas millage is what is advertised as long as you don't get into the throttle. Got 27.2 mpg on a trip to Vegas. The large gas tank gives a good range between fill ups.

Favorite Features

I love the sun roof, the automatic climate control, and the sound system. Great on the highway. Pulls 7% grades at 75 mph without the engine shifting down. From all I've read the engine was designed to run optimal at 3000 rpm which is 85 mph. At this speed millage deceases and tickets increase.

Suggested Improvements

More road and tire noise than expected from a high end Toyota xle. Just my opinion but a car that sells new for $26,000 should have less road and tire noise. It is really apparent on rougher roads like in California where they have no money to improve road surfaces.

Love My Camry
By Holly

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

I have had my Camry for 10 years and have loved it. It has needed minimal repairs: new brake pads after 5 yrs, new battery after 10 years and a couple mufflers. It is fun and extremely comfortable to drive, and in fact is the only vehicle seat that doesn't aggravate my back condition. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, seat comfort

Love My V6 XLE
By ShaAnn

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my car use with 32,000 miles. It now has 107,000 and no problems at all. One spark plug change and front brakes, use Mobil 1 oil every 6 thousand miles. Love the car, the leather, stereo, rims, and moon-roof. Nothing like it. My 96 Mustang blew head gaskets at 100,000 just after the warranty was up. I will keep my Camry, thank you.

Favorite Features

Body style, rims, leather interior, moon roof, smooth sailing down the road and plenty of passing pep.

Suggested Improvements

Make another one just like it for 2020

Reliable car for work
By quin

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 and has use for 154,000 miles till today. Had it maintenance with oil service ( 4 quarts of SAE 5W30 oil preferred for Toyota 1MZ-FE engine good for fuel economy and good starting in cold weather) with oil filter changed @ 4,ooo miles as recommended by the manufacture or penzoil synthetic oil $20(Kmart) @6,000 miles. Had my coolant flush at about @50,000 miles with 1 gallon of antifreeze coolant $18 at toyota dealer. Had my 1 gallon DextronII transmission fluid $10 done @50,000 miles. Front Brake pad ($40pad+ $40labor)change @40,000miles and Back brake pad change@ 70,000miles. Battery change @6years. Windshield wiper change @5years. Tires change@40,000miles.

Favorite Features

Timing belt,fan belt, water pump belt @ 96,000miles. Tune up 6 spark plug@ 60,000miles. Engine light on @ 120,000 with EGR insufficient flow which fail for smog check. EGR system cost $158, EGR valve , EGR sensor need to be check dealer estimate diagnostic test $90 even i know the code & cost more

Suggested Improvements

improve low front could damage front bottom if pass low bumpy curve, fuel filter hard to reach if need to change, last 2 spark plugs are hard to reach if need to change, transmission plug need a hex to unscrew the nut

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
By lvrebel85

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This car has been with me almost six years and it's been a good run. This was my college car so it probably got quite a bit more abuse than most, especially in the Nevada desert with 115+ degree days. I love the reliability and with regular maintenance still runs like new at 140k. It's at the age where more problems pop up (bad cam/crank seals, timing belt, transmission, pwr window regulator, brakes brakes brakes) but I think any car would do the same. fuel econ worsens with the age of the car too. They don't make camrys like this anymore or else I'd buy a 2010 - shame. My next purchase will be a '10 Ford Fusion; hopefully it will be as good to me as my camry.

Favorite Features

Reliability, excellent fit and finish, cheap to insure, roominess, giant trunk

Suggested Improvements

goes through brakes too often, expensive to fix, only getting 23 avg mpg at 140k miles, boring inside and out