Used 2000 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Camry CE
By epicmau5

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Very reliable as a starter car, I got this to go to college. It had 77k on it when I received it. Now it has around 81k after two years. I did, however, run into a couple problems. One was the check engine light, and the other was the alternator dying on me. The engine was free as it was well within the 30-day guarantee, but the alternator was $200 and self-repaired. Since mine had a starter on it, I cannot use it if I park the car in the winter for more than a few days, otherwise it would start then quit. I live in Michigan, and temperatures can go down to -8 F. Driving is great and very comfortable. Very fuel efficient as I fill up every month, despite driving 4 days a week to school.

Favorite Features

Power windows, engine, fuel-efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

Interior door design, car grill should be silver instead of paint over it which peeled after a year of harsh weather.

Reliable, and fun!
By tyylerr

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought my camry new in 1999. It has been the most reliable car I have owned. It replaced my 1996 Lexus ES, and had better options, and was more comfortable. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles, which is just about every month for me, I'm a. The 2.2i4 has almost as much power as my Lexus had! I've been in 2 accidents, only damage was to the front corner, and was cheap to fix. Replaced the timing belt, both ignition coils, and 2 oxygen sensors, and it still runs like new! 278,823 miles and counting! I plan on buying a new camry this week, deffinately keeping this one for my sons first car!

Suggested Improvements

Could do better with the wood trim, all of it has pealed off. Looks fine without it, but it only lasted about 5 years.

4 years in LA traffic...
By hermesc

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for almost 11 years (bought it brand new) and drove it for 4 years in stop and go traffic in LA before moving out of California. It's a great vehicle, very reliable, comfortable, and good gas mileage. Even at almost 170k miles, not much to complain about. I make sure to take it in regularly for it's maintenance at a certified Toyota dealership (it's well worth the slightly higher prices). Hoping to keep the car well past 250k, and there are no signs suggesting otherwise.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, gas mileage, quiet interior, pretty good sound system for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the wheelcaps didn't fall off. That seems to be a common problem with a lot of camrys of this model.

Satisfied Camry Owner
By California Camry

2000 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

A couple of years ago I used Edmunds in the process of selecting a used vehicle. I was impressed by the favorable remarks of countless Camry owners. Subsequently, I purchased a well maintained 2000 V6 XLE with about 90K on it. I have been very satisfied with this car. Rides nice, plenty of power with the V6 which I recommend to anyone who needs the extra power for highway merging and traveling up steep highway grades. Getting about 27 MPG highway with the A/C on. No problems inside or out. Recently had the routine 90-100k maintenance performed. Prospective owners should not skip this. Not a luxury or performance auto, but dollar for dollar the most reliable and practical sedan so far.

Favorite Features

Overall reliability and nice comforts like sunroof and leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if the trunk could unlock via remote. Rear passenger drink holders are a bit flimsy.

EGR valve
By excamry

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

At 88,000 miles the computer analyzed a faulty EGR valve. Replaced the valve ($170.00). The engine check comes back on. I took the the vacuum connected little valve right next to it out and examined it. The top comes off and it contains a little 1" diameter filter inside. Replaced the filter and check engine light was history. Sorry I spent $179 when a little foam filter from the lawnmower did the trick. Otherwise the carry has been a gem never a repair in ten years. This is for doityourselfers to save some money