Used 2000 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Not new, but felt new.
By TVWaugh

2000 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used, but the ride and handling felt like it was a new car. It accellerates fairly well against other V6's on the rode that are newer. Sharing similar interior and exterior features as the Lexus 300, I feel as if I have a Lexus without the Lexus name. I would recommend a Toyota Camry to anyone who asks.

Favorite Features

The exterior and interior shape, the leather seats, the 6-cd changer, a full spare, and the automatic front headlight dimmers

Suggested Improvements

A better suspension package, optional wood finish not fake wood, Onstar as an option, 8 speaker sound system, dual climate control as an option, improved warrenty offer, and better gas mileage

Toyota Camry 2000
By Courtney

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Fantastic car. I have had it for a little over two years and it was my mother's car for 5 years before me. It had a new battery put in last year and a few months later the timing belt and water pump were replaced. Also gets great gas mileage about 34 mpg at 70 mph. This car is great, reliable, and very safe.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Smooth drive, Low maintenance costs.

Suggested Improvements

There is a slight air leak in the passenger side back window, most likely just a weather stripping issue.

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
By lvrebel85

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This car has been with me almost six years and it's been a good run. This was my college car so it probably got quite a bit more abuse than most, especially in the Nevada desert with 115+ degree days. I love the reliability and with regular maintenance still runs like new at 140k. It's at the age where more problems pop up (bad cam/crank seals, timing belt, transmission, pwr window regulator, brakes brakes brakes) but I think any car would do the same. fuel econ worsens with the age of the car too. They don't make camrys like this anymore or else I'd buy a 2010 - shame. My next purchase will be a '10 Ford Fusion; hopefully it will be as good to me as my camry.

Favorite Features

Reliability, excellent fit and finish, cheap to insure, roominess, giant trunk

Suggested Improvements

goes through brakes too often, expensive to fix, only getting 23 avg mpg at 140k miles, boring inside and out

Reliable, and fun!
By tyylerr

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought my camry new in 1999. It has been the most reliable car I have owned. It replaced my 1996 Lexus ES, and had better options, and was more comfortable. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles, which is just about every month for me, I'm a. The 2.2i4 has almost as much power as my Lexus had! I've been in 2 accidents, only damage was to the front corner, and was cheap to fix. Replaced the timing belt, both ignition coils, and 2 oxygen sensors, and it still runs like new! 278,823 miles and counting! I plan on buying a new camry this week, deffinately keeping this one for my sons first car!

Suggested Improvements

Could do better with the wood trim, all of it has pealed off. Looks fine without it, but it only lasted about 5 years.

Best generation of Camry, in my opinion
By loneranger07

2000 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Always liked this generation the most, later they declined in build quality and too many electronic refinements: drive-by-wire throttle, automatic climate control. Also they stopped offering V6 with stick. Mine has leather, alloy wheels, sunroof. Bought used in 2009 with 64,000 miles for around $7500, probably could have negotiated dealer down but really wanted this car because of rarity. And besides regular maintenance and some worn out parts: suspension springs, clutch, and evap. charcoal canister, have had no unexpected issues. Engine is one of the best Toyota has ever made, great compromise between power and fuel economy. We have 123,000 now, happy that we bought it. K&N air filter too

Favorite Features

Smooth V-6 power, 5-speed manual transmission, spacious interior with 4 occupants or less, cushy ride, fairly quiet on highway, sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Everything has been great, nothing has gone wrong or been unsatisfactory with realistic expectations for a high-mile used car over ten years old, even with typical high Toyota quality. Have barely needed to throw any money at it to maintain, and probably only replaced clutch because multiple people learned to drive stick on it and we also don't drive it gently because we love the power and control with the five-speed. Its not like it has a racing clutch and tranny, haha.