2000 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
BEST car ever
By hellosunshyine on 08/04/14 09:33 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I'm sad to say mine is gone, I rolled it while driving the canyon, both me and my sister came out fine. Whoever did it's safety tests did it right. Got GREAT gas mileage and had no problems! I would definitely get another camry.

Best generation of Camry, in my opinion
By loneranger07 on 05/14/14 13:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Always liked this generation the most, later they declined in build quality and too many electronic refinements: drive-by-wire throttle, automatic climate control. Also they stopped offering V6 with stick. Mine has leather, alloy wheels, sunroof. Bought used in 2009 with 64,000 miles for around $7500, probably could have negotiated dealer down but really wanted this car because of rarity. And besides regular maintenance and some worn out parts: suspension springs, clutch, and evap. charcoal canister, have had no unexpected issues. Engine is one of the best Toyota has ever made, great compromise between power and fuel economy. We have 123,000 now, happy that we bought it. K&N air filter too

Family hauler for 13 years, still going strong
By bond_fanatic18 on 05/17/13 19:49 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

My parents' third Camry and our family hauler for 12 years until my dad bought a Honda CR-V last July. Our Camry has been all over Eastern North America including the Maritimes (PEI, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia). I learned how to drive on this car and my mother drove it to work for several years. Never any problems, except a small rattle that started 2 years ago, goes away when the engine warms up. This thing is a tank! It has 144K (about 89,000 American miles I think) and still has tons of life left in it, barely any rust. I drove it to high school and as a high school (university now) student I love it, fantastic first car, will last forever, is a beast in the snow, and reliable as hell.

Sad it's Dying
By shanny720 on 08/12/12 09:56 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

My grandma talked me into buying a used 2000 Camry LE from a sporty car that I had been eying. It was the best decision made. It had 40,000 at purchase (2004) and how has 162,000. It has been reliable driving through MN snowstorms and flash floods. In fact, I've made it through snow where bigger vehicles had gotten stuck, and "puddles" where bigger vehicles had flooded. Few problems. The only reason why it's dying now is because I didn't change the oil every 3,000 miles. VERY important to keep up on the oil changes with this car!! I was hoping to keep it around for another few years. Make sure to also use Toyota parts.

Camry CE
By epicmau5 on 10/15/11 19:42 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

Very reliable as a starter car, I got this to go to college. It had 77k on it when I received it. Now it has around 81k after two years. I did, however, run into a couple problems. One was the check engine light, and the other was the alternator dying on me. The engine was free as it was well within the 30-day guarantee, but the alternator was $200 and self-repaired. Since mine had a starter on it, I cannot use it if I park the car in the winter for more than a few days, otherwise it would start then quit. I live in Michigan, and temperatures can go down to -8 F. Driving is great and very comfortable. Very fuel efficient as I fill up every month, despite driving 4 days a week to school.

Reliable, and fun!
By tyylerr on 08/02/11 00:58 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought my camry new in 1999. It has been the most reliable car I have owned. It replaced my 1996 Lexus ES, and had better options, and was more comfortable. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles, which is just about every month for me, I'm a. The 2.2i4 has almost as much power as my Lexus had! I've been in 2 accidents, only damage was to the front corner, and was cheap to fix. Replaced the timing belt, both ignition coils, and 2 oxygen sensors, and it still runs like new! 278,823 miles and counting! I plan on buying a new camry this week, deffinately keeping this one for my sons first car!

4 years in LA traffic...
By hermesc on 05/05/11 08:15 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for almost 11 years (bought it brand new) and drove it for 4 years in stop and go traffic in LA before moving out of California. It's a great vehicle, very reliable, comfortable, and good gas mileage. Even at almost 170k miles, not much to complain about. I make sure to take it in regularly for it's maintenance at a certified Toyota dealership (it's well worth the slightly higher prices). Hoping to keep the car well past 250k, and there are no signs suggesting otherwise.

Satisfied Camry Owner
By California Camry on 08/29/10 13:15 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

A couple of years ago I used Edmunds in the process of selecting a used vehicle. I was impressed by the favorable remarks of countless Camry owners. Subsequently, I purchased a well maintained 2000 V6 XLE with about 90K on it. I have been very satisfied with this car. Rides nice, plenty of power with the V6 which I recommend to anyone who needs the extra power for highway merging and traveling up steep highway grades. Getting about 27 MPG highway with the A/C on. No problems inside or out. Recently had the routine 90-100k maintenance performed. Prospective owners should not skip this. Not a luxury or performance auto, but dollar for dollar the most reliable and practical sedan so far.

EGR valve
By excamry on 07/18/10 13:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

At 88,000 miles the computer analyzed a faulty EGR valve. Replaced the valve ($170.00). The engine check comes back on. I took the the vacuum connected little valve right next to it out and examined it. The top comes off and it contains a little 1" diameter filter inside. Replaced the filter and check engine light was history. Sorry I spent $179 when a little foam filter from the lawnmower did the trick. Otherwise the carry has been a gem never a repair in ten years. This is for doityourselfers to save some money

So far so good
By Greaseman on 06/14/10 22:22 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I've only had this car about a year and a half. So far this car has been great. Only have had one problem which was that I needed to replace the starter at 106,000 miles. The dealer wanted $307 for a new starter. I found a new Bosch starter for $125. I love the V6 engine. It's very quiet and smooth and is a very good highway cruiser. The premium sound system is top notch. My mechanic told me I made a good choice and in his opinion the Camry is one of the best cars built today for the money. Gas millage is what is advertised as long as you don't get into the throttle. Got 27.2 mpg on a trip to Vegas. The large gas tank gives a good range between fill ups.